My name is Christine Longoria and I'm a ceramic artist. I started working in clay 7 years ago, not realizing the role it would play in my life. It's a unique way that I communicate and process what's going on in my head. However, since finishing school and moving to LA, I haven't had access to a studio. I work for a small non-profit called Povertees, which is an organization that helps homeless people escape the cycle of poverty in downtown LA. It's been a huge change from my life in San Francisco, but I love what I do and the community I get to be a part of through it. However, it doesn't quite pay the bills, so I want to try my hand at selling my art. My goal for this campaign is to raise $1,600, which will kick start my way back into sculpting. The barriers I'm facing are (1) that I can't afford a studio membership, and (2) that I can't physically get to the studio because I don't have a car and the closest studio is in neighboring city Eagle Rock. So my solution is to convert my unused laundry room into a small studio space, and to get a firing membership at the studio, which is cheaper and allows me to use their kilns a couple times a month. The $1,600 will cover the cost of materials and membership for 4 months, along with the funds to create a studio in my laundry room. With this initial investment, I believe I will be able to launch myself into a freelance art career. With your hand in mine, help me make this dream a reality.
What I Need & What You Get
Here's a breakdown of the costs:
- Firing membership: $125 a month = $500 for 4 months
- Materials: I'll use about 1 bag of clay per week, and each bag of costs about $10, so thats $160 for clay for 4 months. Glazes, stains, and tools will cost me $200 to have an adequate supply.
- Studio = I will need $250 to turn my laundry room into a workspace. With that I will make a work table, shelving, and storage.
- Shipping and Handling = In order to ship all the artwork out that you buy, I'll need at least $350 (ceramic work is heavy and won't be cheap to ship).
- Indiegogo takes 4% of what I raise, and other transaction fees take another 4%, so for this subtraction I want to allow for an extra $140.
- TOTAL = $1600
Look to the right for the full list of rewards! All original pieces made by me.
With your hand in mine, I will be able to start making art again. Realistically, there is no way I will be able to do it on my own. And having had so much interest in my art over the years, I want to go out on a limb and try to pursue it. Since I was a little girl, I've always wanted to be an artist, so it would be a dream come true to make a living off this truly unusual skill that I have.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you aren't at a place to contribute financially, I can still use your help! Please share this page and any of my pictures on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. The more people who hear about this the more likely I am to meet my goal!