In the Fall of 2011 several Young Black Males were given pocket HD video
cameras to document the lives of young black males in their
communities. This raw and uncompromising film explores the complex
stories and sometimes destructive behavior of young black males living
in Rochester, New York. This ground-breaking documentary attempts to
answer the most complex and difficult question WHY?
The Filmmaker Shabaka Mu Ausar
Shabaka Mu Ausar is an Independent
Producer/Director/Writer/Editor from Rochester, New York. Shabaka graduated
from Rochester Institute of Technology (R.I.T.) in 1999 with an MFA in
Film/Video Production and started UTCHAT VISION in April of 2000. UTCHAT VISION
is a media production studio that produces films, music videos, commercials,
graphics, web design, and more. Shabaka is also a Master Teacher and Community
Organizer who works primarily in youth development through multi-media, HD Video production and Graphic Design.
YOUNG BLACK MALE deals with the challenges young black males face in America from systematic racism, violence, unemployment and many other factors that pose as challenges in the present economic crisis.
After the success of the screenings of Y.B.M. Shabaka understood that we must continue to spread the message about our young black males and offer life changing solutions as a community. Y.B.M. placed the conversation front and center again. What are we going to do about creating more opportunities for young black males? We wish to tour the United States to screen the film in other communities and have in depth conversations about the solutions to help curve teen violence, drop out rates, and more.
What We Need & How You Are Helping!
Your contribution today funds:
- CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT of Young Black Male educational and youth development resources for those interested in delving deeper into the issues, concerns and potential solutions. Will include the DVD!
- POST-PRODUCTION & FINISHING of Young Black Male documentary for national and international release & tour to include music, licenses, final edit, color correction, sound mastering.
- DVD AUTHORING & PRODUCTION of Young Black Male documentary including Special Features; additional young black male interviews, stories, unused footage.
- MARKETING & PROMOTION of the Young Black Male global movement including a North American college and independent theater tour (Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Calgary, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, St. Louis). Tour includes school visits, panel and community discussions.
We want young black males in America to know that they are not forgotten and that their voices are being heard. We want to fuel a movement of concern and action that will insight real change that can be seen and felt. We can no longer accept that a segment of our population will continue to be born destined to play against the worst odds for America's opportunities.
The published essay below written by Shabaka Mu Ausar further explains the potential impact.
Other Ways You Can Help
- SEND this campaign link via email to community activists, teachers, professors, schools, universities, youth organizations.
- POST this campaign link on your Facebook page to share with your Facebook friends and family.
- TWEET this campaign link to your Twitter followers, family and friends. Use the HASHTAG: #indiegogoYBM to keep the buzz going.
- SHARE with your REAL LIFE family and friends --call them, visit them, tell them over a meal!
- Inquire about organizing a screening, discussion or community outreach event at youngblackmale.net!
- JOIN THE CONVERSATION: Young black males can upload their stories to youngblackmale.net. Use the #youngblackmale585 to share your thoughts, concerns, opinions, solutions!