UPDATE - Fundraising has come to an end. We surpassed our goal. Over 200 people supported our idea. With Indiegogo, the grant and the NYC event we raised a total of $22,937. No amount of words can express our gratitude. Therefore, we will hug you when we see you. You just started building a house.
We’re building a house for volunteers! Construction has already begun and now we are only $10,000 away from a fully operational house!
In 2012, over 80 volunteers from around the world gave their time and expertise to the Yantaló community in the fields of heath and education. The number of volunteers grows each year and they all need a place to stay!
We are the Yantaló International Volunteer Organization, a 501c3 organization raising money to build a house in Yantaló, Peru for volunteers working in the community. Our organization is made up of 8 friends, and for 3 years we have been volunteering our time and skills to this Amazon Jungle community.
Yantaló, Peru and the surrounding area has very little access to quality healthcare and education. The volunteers we support are working to provide that needed quality.
All these volunteers are drawn to this beautiful area of Peru because of the Yantaló Foundation and its construction of the country’s first sustainable hospital. Slated to open in August 2013. We are working in cooperation with and in support of the Yantalo Foundation’s mission: to improve the lives of the people in the Alto Mayo region of Peru by providing quality medical services, public health programs, and enhanced educational opportunities. Local staff will be on hand year-round with international volunteer residents and professors present on a rotating basis through agreements with Universities in the US and Peru. In order to have a fully-staffed team, there must be housing available to volunteers.
Yantaló International Volunteer Organization’s mission is to support individuals from all over the world in their desire to volunteer their time and skills in the Yantaló community by building comfortable housing and providing a supportive, enriching environment, including space for short and long-term housing, volunteer meetings and planning space.
Learn more about our oganization and mission at www.yantalovolunteerhouse.org
The House Plan
Working with local materials, traditional Peruvian design, and innovative sustainable building techniques, this house will be an example for future development in the area. The house will include:
- Shared and private rooms to hold a total of 15 people in the house
- Communal kitchen and dining room
- Shared bathrooms
- Meeting room/computer room
- Access to roof for views of the landscape
- Courtyard space for gardening
We are building in 4 PHASES, expanding bedrooms and bathrooms each time. PHASE 1 (this fundraiser) will sleep 8-10 people, including bathrooms, kitchen, meeting room, and living room.
Our Fundraising Goals
To date, we have raised and spent $6,750 to get construction started. Our $10,000 goal is just enough to help us finish building and open the house to volunteers! Of course we could use a lot more than our goal - so here is a list of what we can do with $10,000 and over!
$10,000 - We successfully reach our goal and open our house to volunteers by the end of 2013.
$15,000 - We completely furnish the house, install a solar powered hot water heater and provide wireless internet.
$20,000 - We can begin building Phases 2 & 3, providing more bedrooms and bathrooms for future volunteers!
$25,000 - We can complete Phases 2 & 3 by early 2014 and be completely solar powered!
100% of donations go towards building the volunteer house!
The construction costs have been calculated in US dollars but will be paid for in Peruvian Soles.
No matter how much you dontate, even a $1, helps us complete this house for volunteers. Here's how your contribution will make a difference:
- Future volunteers (like you) can now stay in Yantaló, enriching their experience and maximizing their time spent in the community!
- You have created a new opportunity for local work! We will be hiring a local staff to maintain the house and welcome volunteers as they arrive!
- You have contributed to a model. Yantaló is a poor community with few businesses or employment opportunities and we hope to help create a model in the community, inspiring future business owners.
Other Ways You Can Help
We understand some just don't have the money to donate but that doesn't mean you can't help!
- Help us spread the word! Use Twitter and Facebook and help us get our campaign heard!
- Know someone that is traveling to Peru? Or interested in going? We'd love to hear from them and share stories. Help us connect!
- We have members located in Los Angeles, San Diego, St. Louis, Nashville and New York City. If you are local we'd love to meet up with you and work together any way we can.
- Be sure to use the nifty share tools just below the video at the top of the page.
We have some pretty amazing rewards! You can get our awesome t-shirt, a 2 week stay at the completed house or even a flight to Peru! Be sure to check out all the available perks in the column to the right!