What is Writers Read?
Writers Read was born in Sitka, Alaska on September 26, 2012. It began because one local writer realized there was no space in the Sitka community for writers to share their writing live for an appreciative audience. She believed the small, island community was full of writers quietly working away at their craft, feeling alone with their art. It turned out she was right! Writers began to emerge from boats, cabins, homes, kayaks, tents, offices, the mountains, and the muskegs when she reached out asking for writers willing to read their own writing in front of an audience. The first ever Writers Read was made of six writers who performed for an audience of over 75! Since then Writers Read has happened once a month (with a month or two off) featuring at least four new writers at each event.
Why Does Writers Read Need Money?
Writers Read now wants to share local writers' work not just in live format, but in print, too. To do this The Island Institute has offered to team with Writers Read to showcase Sitkan writers in the summer issue of "Connotations." This special issue of "Connotations" will include writers who have performed in Writers Read, in addition to some Sitkan writers who have yet to perform live!
It takes a bit of money to print "Connotations," and while Writers Read has raised some of the cost already through generous donations from audience members at events, we still need a bit more in order to get this very special issue printed and in your hands. ALL money goes to printing costs (no staff are paid for this project).
Some Perks to Donating
- Donate $10 and receive a heartfelt "thank you" email from Writers Read and The Island Institute staff.
- Donate $25 and get your name listed in the upcoming issue of "Connotations" as a financial conributor to the issue.
- Donate $50 and receive a free copy of this special Writers Read issue of "Connotations."
- Donate $100 and receive a free copy of this special Writers Read issue of "Connotations" as well as a public "thank you" at the special Writers Read event in September when we will make the summer "Connotations" issue available for purchase.
Some Other Perks to Donating
- Help encourage Sitka writers to keep working away at their craft and consider sharing their writing publicly.
- Help Writers Read become a sustainable part of Sitka's vibrant arts community.
- Support The Island Institute's new focus on local writers and artists, and encourage The Island Institute to continue to showcase locals once a year in "Connotations."
Other Ways You Can Help
Maybe you can't actually donate money right now, and that's A-OK because you can still help! Get the word out about this fundraising campaign by sharing this indiegogo link with your friends. Also, buy a "Connotations" issue when you see one available. And attend future Writers Reads; the next one will be in September and an appreciative audience is just as important as the writers willing to share their writing. Thank you!