A big thank you to everyone who has supported this campaign with your contributions, messages and spreading the word! Even though we did not raise enough money to go into production this summer, we will be filming locally to create a trailer, pursue other funding methods such as grants, and then do the road trip as planned when we have reached the fundraising goal. If you would like to make a contribution, you can send it via PayPal to email@example.com or send me a message via Indiegogo to ask about other ways. All funders will receive their perks, albeit later than initially thought. Please continue to follow the film's progress at UnvaccinatedAmerica.com and Facebook.com/UnvaccinatedAmerica and we look forward to sharing our progress with you.
What's It All About?
One family takes on 28 cities in 56 days to shatter the myths about unvaccinated children.
As more and more parents learn about the risks and ineffectiveness of vaccines, they often find themselves facing a dilemma. They know that vaccines are far from ideal but what choice do they have to protect their child's health? Is non-vaccination a realistic option? That's where we come in.
In this entertaining, engaging and personal feature length documentary, our filmmaking family will set off on a two month road trip across the USA and Canada to meet families who, like us, have decided not to vaccinate.
We will uncover the inside story on what it's really like to have (and be!) an unvaccinated child.
- What steps do they take to protect their health?
- How often do they get sick?
- How do they cope with illness around them?
- What does their doctor think about it?
- Have they encountered pressure and opposition from family or friends and how do they respond?
- How do they manage education?
- What were the reasons behind their decision?
We will meet with well-known pediatricians, family doctors and immunologists to shed light on the differences between natural immunity and vaccinations and to discredit the common accusations leveled at vaccine refusers. We will also take a look at the results of the 2011 health survey of 10,000+ unvaccinated children.
The documentary will achieve two things:
- Help parents who are on the fence feel empowered to say no to vaccines
- Offer a rare window into a world experienced by only four out of every thousand children in the USA.
Helen Beaufort is producing, directing and presenting the film. As the mother of two unvaccinated children (with a third on the way) and the wife of a filmmaker she has read widely on the topics of vaccines and film producing and is ready to bring a new angle to the public debate on vaccination. Having experience behind the camera in educational programming, this will be her on-camera and directorial debut. Think Michael Moore but female, friendly and a lot better looking.
Orion Beaufort is in charge of camera, light and sound. A seasoned pro in the world of video and film production, he has worked on reality shows, feature films, short films, music videos, educational video podcasts and television commercials, including writing, shooting and editing his own short film, 'Shadow of Justice'. The goal is to write and direct his own blockbuster narrative feature films (watch out James Cameron!) but in the meantime he is happy to have this worthwhile project benefit from his extensive skillset.
Patricia Hope is the adventurous grandma who will be joining us from England to look after our children while we are filming and occasionally man a camera to capture some candid family scenes.
We are serious about getting maximum exposure for the finished film! We intend to complete the film by the end of 2012, ready for an intensive round of marketing to distributors in 2013. The film will be submitted to major and minor film festivals to garner critical acclaim, culminating in a deal with a theatrical or cable distributor at American Film Market in the fall. If we don't succeed in securing such a deal, we are ready to enter the increasingly accessible world of self-distribution via the Internet.
What We Need
We're asking for $45,000 which will cover the majority of our production budget and we're working on getting the remainder funded by corporate sponsors. We have part of the necessary filming equipment and we're thrifty folks but there is still a lot that we need to pay for to accomplish this project - film gear and digital tapes, accommodation, gasoline, food, an additional vehicle, admin and legal fees, and a stipend to cover everyone's rent and bills while we're away.
The budget for post-production is not included in this campaign but any funds raised over our goal amount will go to post-production expenses - including editing, music composition and marketing, and it would enable us to get the film finished more quickly. If we don't manage to raise the full production budget we will have to shorten the trip and cut out some of the families and experts to be filmed, as well as lower the quality of the filming. And I would be sad.
What You Get
- Perhaps you'd like to secure yourself a special limited edition extended DVD.
- Or receive a postcard from one of our filming locations with a message from the film crew.
- Any child in your extended family is sure to get a kick out of following our trail with a local postcard mailed from every filming city (great inspiration for some geography sessions!).
- Take advantage of our expertise - video editing services (how about a wedding highlights montage to celebrate an anniversary?), an EFT session to clear an emotional burden or alleviate a physical condition (learn how it works at www.towards-happiness.com/emotional-freedom-tec...), positive adult-child relationship coaching or natural pregnancy/birth/babyhood advice.
- Celebrate your uniqueness with a custom-written poem on the theme of your choice.
- See your name in the credits with special thanks, or become an Associate Producer, or even join the ranks of the elite as an Executive Producer. Imagine how that would look on your LinkedIn profile!
Other Ways You Can Help
If you have one or more unvaccinated children in your family and live in or near one of the following cities, you can participate directly in the film! Here's the list: Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Chicago, New York, Tampa, Dallas, Denver, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Minneapolis. Go to www.cyclopeaproductions.com/participate.html to find out how. If you have friends in those cities be sure to let them know too.
Anyone can help us spread the word about this campaign by using the Indiegogo share tools for posting on Facebook or Twitter, clicking on the film's Facebook page below to 'like' us, and giving our YouTube video a thumbs up, a comment and sharing it with your friends. If you belong to a parenting group that might have some non-vaccinating families or other interested folks please send an email to the group or mention the campaign at playgroup. You are our boots on the ground and your efforts will make a world of difference! Thank you! For more ways to help see www.cyclopeaproductions.com/support.html