The Renegades: What team are you on?
Since November 2012 a local film crew has been followingmy softball team, The SF Renegades , shooting a truly groundbreaking, cutting edge, unscripted, grass-roots doc series and film. The SF Renegades softball team is truly an eclectic group of men & is comprised of both gay and straight men.
- To challenge the many stereotypes surrounding gay men in sports. Is there internalized homophobia with gay men?
- Challenge the stereotypes surrounding gay and straight athletes, demonstrating just how far the world has come in tearing down those walls.
- Show that gay and straight men can be friends on and off the field.
Despite our sexualities, just how similar are we all?
- Explore the 70/30 rule for the Gay World Series. Is it reverse discrimination?
- History of the San Francisco Gay Softball League (SFGSL) and North American Gay Amateur Athletic Association (NAGAAA). Gay softball began in SF over 40 years ago & was first gay organized sports league in the world.
I believe this is a part of equality that I don’t think is discussed or ever thought was possible. We're excited to push the boundaries regarding gay men playing sports, being friends with straight guys and filming this show in San Francisco, which hasn’t seen a reality show since The Real World in 1994. This city epitomizes the very definition of the word family. It’s known around the world for celebrating diversity.”
We all believe the timing of our project is perfect. There have been numerous professional athletes and coaches who have publicly expressed support for equality, including San Francisco 49ers head coach, Jim Harbaugh, who recently stated his team “’would be totally cool with it if one of the players were to come out of the locker, as it were.’” We’re hoping to show that there are no differences between any of us, in spite of sexual preferences.
We also are going to spin our documentary film into a reality show, that will be pitched to major Hollywood networks. We're envisioning our reality show focusing on what happens when this team travels to different gay tournaments around the country. Namely, when traveling to different tournament cities around the country and sharing a house together. What happens in a house full of gay and straight men? What happens while on the road playing softball, away from home and everyday life? What fun or trouble will they get into? How exciting is that?
Both the filmmakers and myself have made some connections who will assist us in getting meetings with networks to pitch our show. How exciting is that?
When you make a donation, you'll receive numerous perks for supporting us. Your donations will go towards future production (filming) of this project. It also is a support for Equality, something many many people like you believe in.
- Travel to tournaments around country (filming morning, noon & night)
- Travel to Washington DC for Gay World Series to make our pitch to NAGAAA Board about the 70/30 rule.
- Continued filming of team interviews, private lives
- Camera, sound and editing the project.
On a Personal Note:
I've worked with these amazing creative filmmakers in the past & when I pitched the project to them, they jumped at the oppurtunity. I completely trust their creativity and professionalism to make this project a success. It's being directed by Jaena Sta Ana and produced by Donnie McCormick.
The Renegades team is truly a group of fantastic men. They've opened my mind and hearts in ways that I never thought possible. Wait till you see the things we've filmed. We really think you'll be moved.
I'm putting all my energy into making this project a success. I appreciate your love and support in helping us make it a reality.
Please share on social-media:
To make this a success, we really need your help to share it with your friends and family on your Facebook & Twitter. They're remarkable tools.
We've created some fun hashtags (#):
#TeamGay #TeamStraight #AlltheWayRenegades
* Please leave a "comment" & "like" the page, as it'll help move our campaign to the top of the page. *
THANK YOU so much for your love and support of our project. We're all super excited and dedicated to making it a reality.