A thief captured for reasons involving a galactic threat is the target of a rescue attempt by the Republic’s finest, botched by the fallen hero she had served with many years ago.
The Old Republic: Rescue Mission is a web series pilot under development by a collaboration of film-makers and volunteers with one shared goal: To see a rare Star Wars fan-film come to life in one of the more unexpected places in the world, Melbourne.
Who Are We?
Dean Musumeci: Co-Director - An everythinger. Originated from Theatre and transitioned to film, Dean excels in the organization and ushering of any scale project in addition to being a versatile workhorse of any creative team. His skills are backed by Degrees in Performing Arts, and Digital Television Production.
Michael Irwin: Co-Director - An encyclopedia of filmic history and ridiculous quotes, Michael places remarkable emphasis on Sound and Production Design to each and every one of his endeavors. Michael's eye for detail and intricacy has always been an invaluable boon to everything that he's worked on.
Why Is This Important To Us?
Although based on videogame lore, we are dealing with the subject matter in a way that we believe hasn't been done before to this degree. Drawing from rich story and character elements derived from the game, we strive to create something that is unique in presentation and design.
Our Reasoning Behind Making This.
- This is a tribute to Knights of The Old Republic and the Star Wars Expanded Universe: A passion project.
- The idea of a powerful vigilante unbound by rules and regulations as a protagonist is a rarity.
- To develop a rare Science-Fiction project in Melbourne, Australia.
- Existing National and International fan-base yearning for content, we have the means to deliver.
With your Help, Our Team has the opportunity to focus on some of the key creative aspects that we believe to be important to the story-telling, such as:
- Intricate design with costuming; individualized style for each character.
- An opportunity to utilize practical effects in the 3D space, rather than a full emphasis on CG elements. (e.g. squibs, small scale explosions and blaster impacts.)
- Access to sophisticated camera accessories for complex cinematography. (Steadicam shots, zipline camera system, aerial shots.)
- Sustainable catering for cast (12) and crew (17)
We are needing a budget of $10,000 for the purpose of:
- Manufacturing of costume and arms. Authentic, durable materials that will hold up in a filmic environment.
- Catering for an average of 25 people on-set, over a 10 day shooting period.
- HDD space to support BlackMagic 4K capture.
- Armorer rental for on-set practical effects, in addition to first aid and safety personnel.
The main bulk of our funds will go to these key departments, and all proceeds will be used to further enhance other departments of the production to ensure an even spread of quality.
What you get in return!
Other than to share in the opportunity of creating the starter of an expanded web series, examples of our IndieGoGo Perks include:
- A3 and A5 sized images/artworks.
- TOR:RM Themed Inventory.
- Items of memorabilia from the film (Hilts, Insignias).
- DVD/Online Releases.
- Meet the Team Opportunities.
- Personalized Interactivity between creators and audience.
Over the last 8-9 months, we've compiled an enormous team of people. Volunteers who are willing to dedicate their time, effort, sleep and sanity to see something like this come to fruition.
We created artwork, information for social media and held a stall at this year's Melbourne SupaNova 2014 convention to promote and recruit.
We created teasers for the fans to enjoy and share amongst their friends. We used all that we had available to establish a solid foundation from which we could work. Every convention leading up to our shoot gives us an opportunity to meet fans in person, as we discuss our intent, our story and our aspirations. The response has been overwhelming!
With any scale production, there are always challenges. Because we are dealing with subject matter that is important to the fans, we have overcome significant hurdles in the past. We have built a team and maintained a positive workflow despite dealing with content that is:
1. Loved by millions of fans around the world.
2. Developing a reinterpreted visual style & narrative but adhering closely to the original source material of Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic.
3. Keeping creative ideas fresh, and bringing those ideas from paper (both script & concept) to life.
Other Ways To Help?
The Star Wars fanbase is our main audience, and enthusiasts of the Expanded Universe wish to see this develop. We're doing this for you
guys, the fans.
Aside from crowdfunding, we thrive on fan interactivity and want to spread the word even further. Our 1200-strong fanbase has already helped in achieving our goals, and with your help, we could double or even triple that.
Thank you, guys! Get the word out to the rest of 'em!
PERK UPDATE - 28/08/2014 - (By Dean Musumeci)
We've added some new supercharged perks to entice folk towards the front-end of the pledge spectrum:
- NEW - Emergency Boosters!
- NEW - Hyperdrive's Ready!
- NEW - Jump to Warp Speed!
We figured that many of you would want to watch TOR:RM offline and/or on your television sets, and so we're offering a Digital Copy of the film to donators of 'Emergency Boosters' and above!
Please note that donators WILL receive bonuses from all perks below their pledge! If you have already donated, you will claim incentives from each perk below your current pledge.
WE DO NOT OWN STAR WARS, both
canon and extended universe.
Star Wars is owned by Lucasfilm Ltd. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and all characters involved in this piece of fiction are owned by Bioware Pty Ltd and Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved. Star Wars and all logos, character names, locations and distinctive similarities thereof are trademarks of Lucasfilm Ltd.
This is nothing more than a university project made for entertainment purposes and online release.
PLEASE SUPPORT THE ORIGINAL RELEASE.