1. We're farmers and gardeners who care deeply about the Earth's sustainability--but also about our own! We see yoga as one very valuable way to help us sustain ourselves.
2. We want to spend our time farming and gardening, not driving into town to take a class. So, we want to bring the yoga to our homes, available on our own timetables.
3. We require a BARE MIMIMUM of $5,700 to make the skeleton of this project run (INCLUDING a physical DVD despite what it says in the film). If we receive more, we'll pay the farmers and gardeners in the video, we'll pay the musicians more than their minimum, we'll actually pay the yoga teacher, and we'll make a contribution to the land on which we're filming. Our IDEAL amount is $9,000. If we raise above and beyond all that, we'll set up a SCHOLARSHIP library of DVDs to send to farmers and gardeners who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford them (such as low-income community garden projects).
THANK YOU for supporting this project. Read on for more delicious, dirty details...
Farmers and Gardeners!
(And other people who work their bodies unreasonably hard for a good cause.)
An accessible, fun, artful yoga video series with an original soundtrack and three class choices:
- 20 minute morning practice
- 20 minute evening practice
- 45 minute intensive practice for any time
- PLUS a 15 minute introduction to the yoga and the farmers
We began rehearsing in July 2012 and rehearsed throughout that fall. We paused for the winter and spring and our new film date is set for late November 2013, weather permitting. Video release is projected to be January 2014.
The "when" of perks depends on filming date, and some perks, such as yoga private sessions, will have flexible redemption dates depending on mutual schedule needs.
The final video will be accessible to anyone with the internet. We
are rehearsing and recording in Whatcom County, WA, and are reaching out to
farms across the county.
This is the view from Rain Dance Farm where we'll be filming (no joke, it's a double rainbow!)
Because farming is a labor of love that can be extraordinarily hard on the body. Sustainable food systems are not just about good land management practices; they're about good people-management practices as well. For a food system to be truly sustainable, it needs to be sustainable for the farmer to feel good in his or her body when rolling out of bed at the crack of dawn each morning. The happier and healthier our farmers are, the better off we all are!
Also: because we want to show yoga in a real-world setting. Yoga is far more than a hardwood studio floor with fancy props and expensive pants (that experience can be a nice one, there's just more to it than that!). Yoga is about a deep, embodied awareness of yourself and your surroundings. It's about planting your dirty feet into the Earth right where you're standing, reaching your tired arms up towards the sun, feeling the breath fill your lungs, and letting that experience carry over into every aspect of your day, wherever you are and whatever you're up to.Studio practice is to prepare you to take yoga into the everyday world, but if you're on a farm you're unlikely to get yourself into town and into a studio. That's where we come in...
With Indiegogo! Community involvement is vital to this project, and we are blessed to have great enthusiasm all around.
- A dedicated group of farmers has been rehearsing, even at the end of long days on the land, to be able to demonstrate clearly and safely the routines that work for them.
- The gifted musicians of AcoustiKale are recording an original soundtrack for the video and who will create the CDs to send to you.
- Rain Dance Farm in Everson, WA is providing an exquisite scenic backdrop with Mount Baker, the Twin Sisters, and a picturesque agricultural panorama.
- Farmrun: media for a farm-run america is providing artistic direction and technical skills without which this project wouldn't exist (check out www.farmrun.com to see the stellar quality of their previous projects).
- Riverhaven, AcoustiKale, and SomaGaia have made generous commitments towards the perks for this project
- SomaGaia Massage & Yoga has been creating the yoga series, training the farmers and gardeners, and guiding and organizing the many logistics.
- And, finally, you are supporting this project. Without you, we won't be able to see it through to fruition. So thank you now and in advance for your generous support!
Here's an awesome picture of Nikki the farm dog; she likes to be on film and tends to self-select to star in any current video with no direction needed...
Where is the Money Going?
To awesome people doing awesome work!
- To Farmrun: Media for a Farm Run America for creating the Indiegogo video, supporting us through the campaign process, and for filming, editing, and publishing the final video and DVD.
- To the overhead of creating the perks.
- To Indiegogo and Paypal for the percentages they charge for their services.
- To AcoustoKale, a couple of outstading musicians who are creating an original soundtrack from start to finish exclusively for The Farm & Garden Yoga DVD.
And if we get OVER $5,700...
- To The Farmers, who have taken time for months out of their busy, hard-working schedules to rehearse for the filming and demo the yoga routines at levels accessible to a wide variety of audiences.
- To Rain Dance Farm for providing the space for filming and rehearsals and for consulting on many aspects of the filming and creation process.
- To SomaGaia Massage & Yoga for launching the project, organizing the participants, creating the yoga routines, training the farmers, creating and soliciting the rewards, and marketing the project.
To AcoustiKale, because independent musicians rarely get paid enough for their inspired efforts.
We receive with humble gratitude whatever you're able to offer in support of this project:
If we receive above and beyond $9,000, we will create a scholarship-based library of DVDs and make them available to low-income farmers and gardeners who need a little more personal sustainability in their lives. Examples include: low-income community garden projects, school gardening-education programs, and 4H groups. If we receive less than $5,700, nothing happens at all, and that would be sad, so let's go all the way!
There are many styles of yoga out there, all offering their unique and subtle or not-so-subtle variations of approach. This is a beautiful thing, since each style reaches exactly those people who need that experience. Jeanell at SomaGaia has been fortunate to deepen her yoga studies in the last two years with a style called Embodyoga(R). Her study and teaching background prior to discovering Embodyoga(R) was Hatha Yoga Therapy and Vinyasa Yoga, and these original teachings still influence her yoga practice and teaching. However, she considers both her current practice and current teaching to be primarily Embodyoga(R). While this is not an officially sanctioned or approved Embodyoga(R) video production, Jeanell is a registered Embodyoga(R) teacher at the 200hr level and many of the themes, cues, and instructions in this video are drawn from her Embodyoga(R) training; for that she is eternally grateful! You can learn more about this style at www.embodyoga.com
Risks and challenges
Injury and illness are the major risks in this filming project. We have a narrow range of dates during which we can bring everyone together and film the project this fall, so if someone is injured or falls ill we will a) have to postpone filming until the spring or b) film without that hardworking person in the video. Either way, we'll get it done, it just may take a little extra time or a change of casting or formatting.
Weather is another challenge. Up here in the Pacific Northwest, fall equals cloudy and chilly. The rains will start in. The weather will turn unpredictably foggy. The worst case scenario, though, would be a delay in the final filming until the spring; we'd still get it done!
Other Ways You Can Help
Even if you can't give money (or even if you CAN!), there are so many ways you can help us be a success:
E-mail your friends and family and tell them about us! Use this link:
- Contact your local farms, CSAs, master gardeners, community garden organizations, guerrilla gardeners, school gardening programs, food co-ops, or other creative, earthy venues and tell them about us!
- Post flyers encouraging folks to visit this campaign page.
Host a fun sustainability or yoga oriented event and donate the proceeds to the campaign.
- POST ON FACEBOOK, REPEATEDLY about us.
LIKE us with your own Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TheFarmandGardenYogaDVD?ref=hl
TWEET about us.
- More ideas? Send them to us so we can tell our fans!
THANKS AGAIN and MANY, MANY BLESSINGS TO YOU.