My name is Mark Kaplan, from Dallas, Texas. Although, many of you know me as Naked Lens Photography. I document such subcultures as burlesque, body suspension and the Burn community. Photography is my passion; and I share my photos with the world free of charge - http://nakedlens.org
The StrobePack is my latest project that fuses photography, music and interactive art. This man /machine combination breaks down the wall between observer and participant, creating more interesting images and an experience for both subjects and observers.
- Donating to this project not only funds the StrobePack and its journey to Burning Man, but the equipment necessary for Naked Lens Photography to continue into the foreseeable future..
What We Need & What You Get
The bulk of the funding will go towards refreshing my photography equipment, specifically two camera bodies with battery grips, two new strobes, additional radio triggers, batteries and a solar power collection unit for rechargeable batteries. (Yes I’m trying to reduce my carbon footprint by going solar)
In keeping with the interactive nature of the StrobePack, the perks are primarily aimed at allowing donors to passively interact with the citizens of Black Rock City, through audio messages and music. Of course this funding goes beyond Burningman.
Through your help Naked Lens Photography can continue to be a resource of free images for many upcoming events.
- If the goal isn’t met, any funds will still be applied directly towards photography equipment for the journey. It is my intention to start initially with one camera body and grip, and then move to accessories. As funds permit, I will be adding the additional camera. Any money above the goal will be used for high-grade equipment, to better withstand the environment of the Playa and possibly more additions and modifications to the StrobePack..
- Simply put, active participation over simple observation makes better photographs; the nature of the StrobePack compliments natural curiosity and invites rather than repels interaction. Additionally, its conspicuousness helps to reduce the “Big Brother” effect.
- I feel that my photography both treats its subjects with the respect that they deserve, and provides those outside of the communities a window that will hopefully lead to understanding.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Although the primary goal for this campaign is the journey to Burning Man and collection of images to follow; all of the equipment will be used far beyond that.