SQL and relational databases play an important role in storing and processing data. SQL is a powerful language that allows to formulate complex queries on relational data. While there are SQL engines on servers, desktop, mobile devices, there is no full SQL engine in the browser.
What We Need & What You Get
Over the period of developing SQLinMemory.js, we cannot work on our daily business. To compensate our effort, we would like to have additional backing by the community while developing OpenSource software.
Early versions of the library are already available but this should not hinder you to donate anyway. We will try to keep the master branch absolutly stable so you can rely on everything that is in the master branch. We chose the ISC license in order to provide the library to everyone. Pull requests will be accepted when they do not impact the stability.
Why you need it
- Reuse the same code on server and client side to have SQL-based client side cache of data
- Use it as in-Memory database in Node.js
- Use it in PhoneGap
- Create online SQL tutorials
- Provide safe SQL scripting on client side
SQLinMemory.js will have a tuple oriented storage. There will be cursors that read from tables and cursor stability will be guaranteed. SQL queries will be broken down into selections, projections, joins and group operations. A optimizer will reorder these operations and replace cross joins by index joins whenever possible.
SQLinMemory.js is designed for small data that fits into RAM and needs some complex computation on it. It should be a drop-in replacement for full-scale SQL engines and will provide the same interface, so you write your app once with SQL statements and can run it either in node.js with mySQL or in the browser with SQLinMemory.js.
How else can I help?
Besides indiegogo you can do the following things:
- Test it on github (https://github.com/carli2/sqlmemjs)
- Star and watch this project on github
- Provide patches
- Provide test cases
- If you are from Germany: Wir entwickeln datenbankbasierte Individualsoftware - hilf mit, Werbung für die kleine Softwarebude zu machen