- Shakespeare By The Sea (SBTS) is a not-for-profit classical theatre company based in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The professional productions we create captivate thousands of audience members every season with stories that have resonated across centuries and continents, reflecting on the meaning of the “human condition.” SBTS works in Halifax’s largest urban park, offering an annual outdoor summer season from Canada Day to Labour Day. The company’s indoor venue, The Park Place Theatre is an 80-100 seat black box theatre is the home of our popular indoor productions, as well as a busy rehearsal/performance space for various local theatre companies.
- On June 1st, 2014 the Park Place Theatre was damaged by a suspicious fire, leaving the company without a headquarters, just days before rehearsals for our season were slated to begin! While we are hopeful that insurance will cover some of the costs related to the fire, we know that there will be unforseen costs and possible loss of revenue as a result of the damage.
- By contributing to the Fire Recovery Fund, you will be instrumental in helping our 2014 season go forward! This alone is a huge deal, and if we are able to rejuvenate the theatre, it will go a long way toward the continued strenghtening of cultural life in the city of Halifax. 100% of our funding goes towards our company and the artists who make their living here, and your donation will be no different... Every little bit helps, and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts if you are able to give!
What We Need & What You Get
- We estimate that there was about $20,000 in smoke and water related damage, so that is our goal with this campaign. The smoke is literally still clearing, and the dust hasn't yet settled, but we know that the show must go on.
- The biggest perk we can offer is our shows this season. It will be all we can do to get the company up and running in the next few weeks, so the reward will be an incredible summer of theatre in Halifax's beautiful Point Pleasant Park.
- Even if we don't reach the $20,000 goal, all funds raised will go towards our fire recovery project. We can use any and all of the help we can get.
- The impact of your donation will be felt immediatley. We will need to replace costumes, props, seats in the theatre, curtains, and the list goes on...
- Each and every dollar raised will go toward the rejuvenation and revitalisation of Shakespeare By The Sea's Park Place Theatre.
Other Ways You Can Help
- The absolute best way can you help if you can't donate is to come see our shows this summer and fall and tell everyone you know to do the same! Your attendance and applause mean the world to us, we strive to bring a high quality theatrical experience to each and every person that comes to a show.
- The other thing you can do is share this campaign with your friends, family, co-workers and anyone else who happens to walk by you, wherever you go!
Thank you, in advance, from all of us at Shakespeare By The Sea!