Mama Ros' Sandwich Shop needs your support. Help save a Pittsburgh Institution!
Hi there! Our names are Jon Tai and Jon Potter, and a couple of weeks ago we walked into Mama Ros' Sandwich Shop for the first time looking for nothing more than a decent brunch. In the two hours we spent there that afternoon, we came to realize something that hundreds of people--from Pittsburgh and from out of town--had already known for a long time: we were in a really special place.
Mama Ros' has been around for over a decade, and it's so much more than just somewhere to eat. Whether you're a regular or only pass through once, for one and for all it's a home, a safe haven. A place where you're guaranteed to eat a full meal whether you can afford it or not.
However, the generosity of "Mama" Rosalyn Dukes and "Papa" Mike Miller comes with a cost, and just as in Game of Thrones, the winter as been long and hard. Now we need your help to keep it alive.
What You're Giving and What You're Getting
This isn't the first time the shop has seen some troubles. In 2012, it suffered a fire threatening to shut it down for good. The community ended up rallying together, donating funds and time to get it back on its feet.
And that's really what it's all about: the community, about bringing people together in a space that embodies part of the heart of what Pittsburgh is, and we wanted our rewards to reflect that.
Jon Tai is a part time professional magician who's performed solo shows in theaters, corporate events, and private parties around the country. One of the perks will have him coming to give a personal, close-up private magic show for you and your friends (or enemies). Jon Potter is a professional paragliding instructor. The reason he wasn't in the video above is because he was in China...paragliding off of the Great Wall. One of the perks will have him taking you out for a flying lesson. Don't worry, all skill levels welcome! (see FAQ for details).
Where the Money Goes:
Any funds raised will first and foremost go towards covering the shop's operating costs from winter. Any additional funds from there will help cover ongoing operating costs as well as future community events including the yearly donation-based Thanksgiving dinner.
Private Magic Show
- 15-20 minute set of close-up magic only. Best suited for audiences of up to 30 people.
- Must be non-profit. So private parties, personal event receptions, magical interlude at your monthly underwater basket weaving clubs, etc.
- This perk is available to anyone, anywhere! But if performance location is outside of Pittsburgh, you must cover travel costs.
- Show can be personalized! Let me know if your event is for something specific and I can work with you to create a unique experience.
- Please contact Jon at firstname.lastname@example.org to work out performance time and date details.
- 2-3 hour beginner paragliding class.
- Commemorative pictures and videos included in the set.
- For more info and contact info, check out Pittsburgh Paragliding
Other Ways to Help?
Absolutely! If you are at all moved by these guys as we were or if you believe in the cause or if you're bored and just putzing around on the Internet, please share this anywhere and everywhere! Getting the word out is a huge part of this. Just doing that is a very big help.
Or drop by sometime to say hi and grab a bite to eat. Mama Ros and Mike do what they do because they get to meet people like you, feed you, and put a smile on your face.
Thank you for your time and support, and we hope to see you soon!