1 out of every 20 babies die from illness such as diarrhea in Kiribati. That's unacceptably high for an illness that is treatable and preventable.
- Hi, I'm Carol Armstrong, Founder of The Island Rescue Project. We are a small group of passionate volunteers who are working to improve the lives of babies in Kiribati.
- Babies are defenseless and need our protection. But we need your help to do this.
- The water supply of Kiribati is rainwater that seeps underground through the porous coral and forms a bubble of fresh water that they draw from through wells. Unfortunately, everything else above ground also leaches through to the water supply: pig droppings, toilet pit leakage and other decaying material. Their polluted water is a potential source of disease.
- Clean water is essential. Without mountains or rivers, rain is the only source of water and sometimes there is drought. We need to harvest water from the sea through industrial sized solar de-salination panels and home sized units.
- The main island of Tarawa is approximately 16 km squared, with a population of more than 50,000 people.
- Sometimes when a baby is born, there is not enough water at the hospital to wash the baby clean.
- Our team is ready to travel to the islands to introduce water purification strategies, water storage plus education and remedies for diarrhoea.
WATCH us drink dirty water with horse poop in it!
Hope you have a few laughs with us as we demonstrate one way we plan to create safe drinking water for Kiribati.
Listen in to my interview on Pacific Beat - ABC News Radio Australia.
What We Need & What You Get
We have raised some funds already but we need your help to achieve our goals:
- We need to raise $27,000 to purchase items we need. We want to build affordable solar water de-salination home kits and purchase water storage tanks for strategic places on the islands. The sun and sea water are free and abundant.
- For your support and contribution you can earn some nice perks such as t-shirts, organic insect repellent, personal water filters, solar lamps, personalized videos of our work in the islands mentioning you by name, opportunities for major donors to travel to the islands and see our work first hand, naming rights to water tanks and de-salination units - great for your business social responsibility. All contributors will have their name on our website supporters page.
- All donations will reach the people who need it. We have diarrhea remedies, water purifiers, solar lamps and everyday needs like soap and insect repellent to take in. However, water is the key issue and we really need your help to purchase several rain water tanks be most effective. Water resources are stretched to the limit now and the future looks grim. An El Nino effect is predicted this coming season. Disease, such a s cholera, is a real concern if water quality continues to decline.
The Island Rescue Project has had some rain water tanks generously donated for Kiribati. We just have to pay the shipping which is not cheap to a remote area like Kiribati. If you can help with a donation $5 or $10 or more, your name will be painted on the side of the tanks as a kind friend. You will be sent a photo of your name on the tank and your name will be listed on the supporters webpage. Importantly, you will be helping tremendously.
- Follow our blog and facebook page to keep up with what's happening.
We will be teaching the islanders how to make family sized solar water desalination units which will provide their daily drinking water.
YOU can be an honorary member of our team. If you would like a certificate with your name on it . . email us and share with us how you contributed.
- The success of our project will be meaningful to other areas of the world as we demonstrate it's affordability, effectiveness and that it can be duplicated.
- YOU can help make this happen! You are an integral part of our project.
- You can rest assured that we have no high overheads or "fat cat" salaries, and we personally take the aid to the people on the ground and implement the programs.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Please help us to get the word out and make some noise about our campaign.
- We want this video to go viral in a BIG WAY!
- Share with your friends and contacts on all your social media with the Indiegogo share tools!
A big heartfelt thank you from me, Carol