You may or may not have heard the Sewanee Angels whispering about Shenanigans re-opening. Since the tragic shuttering of our revered gathering place, there have been great pangs of remorse and gnashing of teeth. It has now been a year and three months since the last guest check number was called out; and since then, the cries of Shenanigans' faithful have echoed far and wide.
Finally it can be said that the rumors are true that Shenanigans will be back again. We hope you will be a part of the revitalization of this beloved mountaintop institution.
Now is our chance, and now is Your chance to join this effort and help make it a reality.
- Nelson Byrd (Sewanee class of '03 and Shenanigans Hall-of-Fame cook) and Bill Elder (Monteagle Assembly lifer, New Orleans native, married to Sewanee '94 grad, Susie Creagh) are the new owners of Shenanigans. The deal was official as of this past Friday, January 10.
- Soft open tentatively set for Feb. 1, with "Grand Re-opening" a few weeks later
- We need not remind you of the sublime Spicy Turkey Melt, the matchless Shenanawich, the L-bar, the Elvis shrine, the feel, the warmth of the REAL Shenanigans. Many have expressed their profound wish that it re-open, as well as a desire to somehow be a part of that effort. Here is your chance to do precisely that.
What We Need
Planned Facility and Equipment Upgrades:
- Although the necessary funds to purchase the actual building and its contents have been secured, our planned upgrades, new equipment, and opening capital budgets need some love.
- Back room repurposed with plenty of extra seating, a cozy atmosphere, and a collapsible back bar to provide another great hang-out spot for drinks and eats.
- Removable stage and small PA system for main room.
- New meat slicer. The last one was decommissioned and thrown away. Deli with no meat slicer?? No, no, no…
- New double-oven. Well….lets just say the current one came third hand from a Kenny Rogers Roasters and has anyone seen one of those in 30 years?
- New walk-in cooler main coil unit.
- Finish the upstairs--just minor cosmetic finish work needed--some floors-sandin', drywallin', trim work and a fresh coat of paint--so we can open that space up for private parties, and someday later, who knows?
…is to bring back Shenanigans--the way it once was. We want everyone to walk in and find it the same place it was in November of 2010. Same menu, same recipes, same smiles, and faces new and old!
And then we'll go from there. Shenanigans will enjoy a natural progression of changes from that point, but we believe if you put people who know and love the true persona and institution of Shenangigans, that that evolution will be coming from the right place and flow naturally.
Now's Your Chance
Click on one of the dollar-increments to the right, or just choose your own amount. Any and all is appreciated, and enlists you in the noble effort of not just re-opening Shenanigans, but KEEPING it open.
Please feel free to forward this far and wide! And we'll see all of y'all at The Club!