Modern Times's campaign has received coverage in both the San Francisco Bay Guardian (http://www.sfbg.com/2014/01/07/modern-tragedy) and on the front page of Publisher's Weekly (http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/ind...)! The community is really showing its support; join the movement and donate today!
With but a short three weeks left in the campaign, Modern Times Bookstore refuses to give up! We've added a new perk, an excellent limited edition print by collective member Lex Non Scripta, viewable here:
Also here's a picture of the much requested tote bags:
Let's keep this campaign alive and ensure that Modern Times stays thriving, friends!
Modern Times is:
A San Francisco literary treasure, Modern Times Bookstore is preparing to step into a new era of progressive politics and radical activism. For over forty years (more than 32 of which we've spent in the vibrant Mission District), Modern Times has served San Francisco's progressive community. It is one of the oldest collectively run bookstores in the country, and has long been an important meeting spot for activists, book lovers, Mission locals, and visitors from the world over.
For many decades, Modern Times was a fixture on Valencia Street, but over the past five years, rent in that area has increased so drastically that Modern Times was long forced to operate at a loss. Two years ago, when Modern Times's lease ended, rent was hiked so steeply that the doors could not stay open. Modern Times was forced to move to another part of the Mission on 24th Street. Grappling with the immense financial hardships of relocating into a smaller venue with less foot traffic, Modern Times has been accruing debt and has continued operating at a loss.
Modern Times is an amazing and important resource for the city, and if it closes, not only is a bookstore lost, but so is a part of the community, and a piece of San Francisco's heritage. That's why Modern Times is now launching a campaign to pay down the debt and bolster the future of the store. With your support, Modern Times can realize a vision of sustainability and really make its location on 24th Street into a home.
Help today to revitalize Modern Times!
How You Can Help:
Our goal is to raise $60,000 in 60 days! We can do that with your support. The money raised will go to paying down the debt so we can get Modern Times kicking again. Your support will let us implement our business plan, make some much needed improvements to the store, and help us move forward with a new vision of how Modern Times can contribute to the 24th Street community. We have many great perks to offer, from unique Modern Times swag to psychic readings. Keep your eyes peeled for more down the line.
Every dollar raised will go toward paying down our debt and keeping Modern Times alive and thriving.
There is every reason to help save Modern Times.
- We provide a space for unique events that bring together the Left and many other communities.
- Authors and activists love to present their new work at Modern Times.
- We stock books that no other bookstore has.
- Many teachers depend on us for their classroom books.
- No other bookstore has the history or the unique community presence of Modern Times.
- Excellent Spanish language section.
Other Ways You Can Help:
While this campaign is hugely important to the future of Modern Times, there are many other great ways to get involved with the effort to save the store.
- Modern Times is always in need of friendly faces and helping hands around the store. Come in today and ask to see Ashton about volunteering!
- Share this campaign/the status of Modern Times with the world. Community is what this store is all about, and what will help save it.
- Since the holiday season is upon us, why not come in and buy some books! We'd love to see you.
- To make a tax-deductible contribution, write a check to our fiscal sponsor PeaceKey, Inc. (with Modern Times in the memo line of the check) and send to Modern Times, 2919 24th St, San Francisco, CA 94110.