Le Video needs your support to help preserve our ultra rare video collection and to keep it available to the public!
Update May 10th... less than 48 hrs to go and still 25K to raise!
Can we sell 1,000 of this super deal? 10 rentals for $25 !!!
to raise the additional funds to maintain physical browsing of the collection.
Maximum 2 per customer/account and unlimited as a gift Certificate for friends and family. Support Le Video while getting someone a wonderful Birthday or Christmas present! Please do not forget to share. Thank you for all your help.
Update May 4th, 2014
What you've accomplished and what we STILL NEED TO DO
THANK YOU again to everyone who contributed to meet our basic goal and saved Le Video's collection. We've crossed 100% and are so very grateful.
To be able to PHYSICALLY BROWSE the collection will cost $47,600 above the currently raised funds - and that is with some heavy shopping and negotiating on prices!!!
Some Indiegogo Math:
Now that we have exceeded our goal of $35,000 we will only pay 7% processing fees (Indiegogo 4%, Paypal 3%). This comes to $42,235 minus $2,957 and minus $ 3,200 for the T-shirts, Totes and DVD for the perks leaving $36,078 to pay for the original plan.
What your contributions have purchased so far:
- 100,000 Printed Tyvek envelopes for disc storage $ 12,000
- 100,000 Polyester labels for the Tyvek envelopes $ 2,000
- Cardboard bins to storethe discs $ 500
- Vinyl DVD sleeves to take the DVDs home
- Large screen TV + install + Sound system $ 4,000
- Website Phase 1: Online browsing of the whole collection $ 5,000
- Populating the movies database with data. $ 5,000
- Shelving for the discs in the cardboard bins
- New POS counter
- Back office shelving to store the VHS
- Customer sitting area
- Computers for customers to browse the online catalog
- Customer tables/counter,
- A new telephone system with auto-attendant
- Faster internet connection with WI-FI access for customers
- 40 stackable chairs to be used for a curated screening
- Ink cartridges for all the printing to be done and various supplies
- VHS to DVD players to digitize the VHS collection + dedicated computer equipment and software,
- Miscellaneous construction items
- Bankers boxes to store the covers
- Various fees to dispose and haul away stuff, possible dumpster rental, hiring extra help... and all the stuff we're not thinking about already brings us in excess of the current $ 7,578 balance.
For this to be feasible we have set a Stretch Goal of $ 80,600 to acquire the following items:
- 100,000 Clear rigid vinyl sleeves to display the covers $25,000
- 100,000 1" x 4' labels for the covers display $600.00
- 2 level browsing bins to display the covers in the vinyl sleeves (bins similar to those used to display LPs) - Estimate came in at $20,000
- 5,000 category plastic dividers cards $2,000
Total cost for the items needed to physically browse the collection is
We've ADDED NEW PERKS!!! redeemable right away.
Who we are and what we are trying to accomplish:
Le Video has been a San Francisco institution for over 30 years, since the dawn of the video age. In this era of at-home streaming services galore Le Video's incredibly obscure catalog of films scoured from all over the world is on the brink of collapse.
pressures may result in our closing our doors and the inevitable loss of one of
the rarest film collections in the Bay Area. But there is hope yet.
- Move upstairs into a new space that's better designed to help you discover new films and also, find just what you are looking for
- Remodel our downstairs space to bring in a co-tenant that's local, community oriented, independent and like-minded
- Complete the design of our new database and launch our new website making our collection searchable online (phase 1)
- Introduce small curated screenings
- Resume purchasing films from all over the World!
With a successful campaign we will once again be able to bring you hard-to-find obscure & famous world cinema rarities. We'll be able to provide you with a space better suited to curated screenings and lectures where you can invite friends and, of course, fellow Le Video members.
Why this is important:
An analog video store may seem like an antiquated idea in these times, but not if you are someone who cares about choosing for yourself. It is not only our massive curated collection that sets us apart from streaming services, but also the sense of community and the benefits of social interaction. Algorithms can only go so far in helping you make new discoveries. At Le Video each employee has their own personal interests and areas of expertise that are invaluable resources in aiding in your movie viewing discoveries.
Without your support San Francisco will have to say goodbye to the rare imports, the huge selection of LGBT films, the rarest of rare VHS that have never been released on DVD, works by local filmmakers, experimental films, terribly awesome 80s slasher flicks, countless rare studio archive titles and thousands of movies you may never see anywhere again.
But it’s not just our collection that’s at risk. It’s the tradition of the brick and mortar video store and the role it plays in film discovery, education and social interaction.
Your contribution will help
keep Le Video’s doors open by going towards:
Labor: To fit into our new space we'll need a lot of help consolidating and rearranging our collection. Part of which means wading through 100,000 movies (that's a lot of stickers and data entry!)
Storage: A smaller space also means we’ll need an entirely new storage system for our collection. We're in the need for shelving units, storage bins and a ton of supplies to make it happen.
Digitizing Equipment: A big part of what makes Le Video so special is our collection of rare VHS. With your contributions we’ll be able to speed up our process of digitizing rare materials to make them even more accessible.
Furniture and Fixtures: Our new upstairs space will need new displays, rental counters, customer seating and computer stations for catalog browsing. A complete renovation is necessary to make it look extra great for re-opening. Our current back offices will also be completely transformed to accommodate the influx of storage.
FINALLY, ACCESS TO OUR COLLECTION FROM ANYWHERE:
We are closer than ever before to have our catalog available online!
Additional funds are needed to hire helpers to fill out gaps in the database as well as behind the scenes programming to make it as smooth an experience as possible.
With this project completed we will be able to quickly curate spotlight sections for local film festivals (Noir City!, SF Silent Film Festival!, SF Green Film Festival!) and new sub-genres like our Secret Agent A-Go-Go and Ozploitation sections. So much opportunity will be opened with improved access to our massive collection.
We will also need to upgrade our woefully slow internet connection and provide WI-FI access.
The more funds we can raise the cooler we can make our new space: TVs so we can show off our favorite flicks, projectors for possible future small screening activities and most importantly even more amazing titles that make Le Video the destination it is for movie lovers.
Here are some nice articles that have been written about us in the past few weeks:
Great article via KQED:
From local film journal Cinesource:
For our French speaking fans via 'frenchmorning.com':
Great article via SFWeekly:
An updated version of our first article, via KQED:
Excellent Article from Time Magazine
What's in it for me?
You mean beyond keeping this incredible cultural resource open to the public?
Q: When do I indicate my gender and T-shirt size?
At the end of the campaign we will reach out to all our awesome supporters and ask for your preferences. All perks for local contributors will be held for pick up at Le Video.
We are currently adding more perks day by day. Here are some of the items on offer so far:
- DVDs from Icarus Films
- DVDs from Flicker Alley
- DVDs and BRs from Drafthouse Films
- Films by various staff members on DVD
- DVDs from local filmmaker Paul Clipson
Posters and DVDs from November Fire
Any Other Ways I Can Help?
Yes!! Please share this and spread the word! Post a link to this page on your blog, Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ profiles! Anywhere and Everywhere! Getting the word out is a huge part of this. Just doing that is a very big help, so is posting comments on our Indiegogo page.
- Share this information with other people. Don't forget to use the "Share Tools"!
- Go rent a film or two at Le Video
- Buy your DVD, Blu-Ray (we do special orders) and previously viewed items from Le Video
- Donate your used DVD, Blu-Ray and VHS to Le Video
We thank you in advance for any help you can provide!