**Just Added: The Great Adobe Ebay Auction (see updates for more details!)
Who We Are:
10 months ago when we heard that Adobe Books was about to be forced out of business by a 4k a month rent increase we formed a group to try to save it.
Adobe has been such an important part of our lives as artists, writers, book lovers, and Mission dwellers -- not only for the books, but for the impromptu events and gatherings, the gallery featuring local artists, the discussions, friendships and connections it has nurtured among us and the generous, welcoming spirit of the place -- that we couldn't see the mission without it.
So we asked Andrew if he would be willing to stay on as part of a new Adobe books and arts collective, if we could figure out a way -- and he said yes.
For the past 10 months we have been brainstorming and researching, studying alternate business models, reaching out to Adobe's friends near and far and talking to successful bookstores, galleries, and collective businesses -- from Kepler's books to Pierogi Flatfile Gallery in Brooklyn to Rainbow Grocery -- to develop our vision.
Develop a new Adobe that is everything we love about the old Adobe and more -- with a sustainable business plan that can become a model for other efforts like ours to keep culture, the arts, and small businesses alive in our communities.
Now we are ready to go forward. We have a business plan, business partners, an experienced bookstore manager ready to come on board, and some enthusiastic initial investors. We have a strong support network including NOBAWC, Seminary Bookshop, local artists, Rainbow Grocery, and more. We've done our homework and we're committed to our vision. All we need is you.
Here's The Vision:
Adobe Books and Art will feature...
- better books, including a curated selection of new books.
- original art by new and established artists for sale in flat files and on our gallery walls
- pop-up stores within the store including San Francisco's own Brown Owl Coffee, the Richmond District's Park Life Store, Groove Merchant Records, and other wares by local artists, musicians, and book makers
- an exciting mix of programming including art openings, performances, readings, and our traditional spur of the moment parties, curated by members of the collective and friends of the store
- a fresh look -- replacing the old furniture, repainting, redesigning display space and event space
- a membership program offering perks and opportunities for co-op members including discounts on books and products and invitations to special events
Last but not least we will be listening closely to you: What's your vision of bookstore/cultural space in the Mission? -- What art/events would you like us to feature, what books/other products would you Like to see us carry, and how would you like to be involved?
Will Adobe stay in its current location?
We are at a crucial sink or swim moment. We have submitted our business proposal to the current landlord and asked to be considered as the new tenants in our current location. At the same time we are working with a broker to identify other possible nearby locations in case these negotiations fall through. When we raise these funds, we will be able to secure a new lease at or near the current location, clean and remodel, restock the store with great stuff, and hire necessary staff including an accountant and bookstore manager.
This campaign and the funds that we raise here will determine the future of the Adobe Bookshop! If you would like to see the store continue as a creative, community-centered space in the Mission, please donate here and spread the word!
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can't make a donation to the campaign, you can still help Adobe succeed by contributing in other ways. We would love it if you:
- Spread the word! Please forward this campaign on to all friends, colleagues, and family. Let them know how important Adobe Books is to the community and to the San Francisco art scene. Help us get the word out about this campaign and drum up support!
- Join the working group. We need more people with resources, expertise, and most importantly, energy and time to help out in making this happen. If you can volunteer some time we would love for you to get involved. We have meetings at Adobe every Tuesday at 7pm. Please email us for more info or just stop by!
If we don't raise this money, Adobe books will close its doors. It's that simple. Please help!
Note: We are also accepting Bitcoin. Please use this address: 13ESufrbntNg6xoSajfH3NfXCxx6Y4ahkQ. The final amount donated to this address will be added to Indiegogo funds. (As of Fri 15 Mar 10:59PM PST)