We are Sapphica...we are best friends...college mates...athletes...activists...artists...and 100% independent musicians. Kristen is a professional basketball player and Gabriel is a filmmaker who is dying to shoot more projects of his own. Kristen is out and proud, and Gabriel is a fierce supporter...and we both take exceptional pride in being a strong voice for equality in our music and our videos.
Think about it! When was the last time you saw a strong, gay, female lead in mainstream media??? Well, we're changing that...one sexy Sapphica video at a time! We believe that love is love, and all of our art is rooted in that fundamental ideal.
A few years ago we started cooking up our own eclectic, but palatable brew of genuine, irreverent, cinematic music...a little bit Radiohead, a little bit Danny Elfman, a little bit Metallica, a little bit Hans Zimmer, a little bit Sara Bareilles...yeah, we know.
We've made 2 music videos on pennies, and we're eager to take the next step. Our music gets better by the day, and our new song, "Ready" is just SCREAMING for a big, cinematic video.
We will produce TWO versions of this video: the standard music video, and the "redband" extended version...which will be considerably more explicit and completely uncensored (gasp). Exclusive access to the redband version will be granted to higher-level donors.
Have a listen to "Ready" on our website, and picture a young, beautiful college girl-turned-CIA-hitwoman...she takes lives without remorse. Never questions the faces and addresses texted to her every night...just quietly racks up skulls on her motorcycle helmet. But as she struggles with her growing love for her CIA handler (Kristen), she starts to grow a heart. Noticing an ominous pattern in her assignments, she makes the dangerous choice to get out...but it's too late. For her, and Kristen.
Imagine David Fincher's "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", and turn it up to 11. This video is going to be potently violent, outrageously sexy, and beyond anything we've attempted before. Watch our latest video, "RobotiX" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho3Wl5kM2kM) and imagine our creative energy and style tumbling even further down the rabbit hole. While we have zero interest in gratuitous, indulgent violence or booty shaking...make no mistake...this video will be intense, raw, sexy, shocking, it will push boundaries, and it will be a hell of a fun project to shoot! We're shooting in warehouses in LA, an oceanside condo in Santa Monica, the remote hills in Malibu Canyon, the cobblestone back alleys of Toulouse, France...this is going to look and feel BIG. But we know how to squeeze the most out of a buck.
Gabriel owns the film gear. He knows how to shoot. We need people. We need money for bodies, locations, and special effects.
Check out our website (http://www.sapphica.com) to learn more, listen to our tracks, check out our past videos, get to know us! Find us on twitter! (@dreamingtree44, @GabrielKMann). Follow us to get updates on the script, casting, storyboards, and pre-production. (#ready)
What We Need & What You Get
- We need at LEAST $15,000 to get this project up and away. The money primarily goes to humans...the best talent we can lure. We'll have an amazing leading lady for five days of filming, and 15 other principles. Money goes to pay for them, pay for insurance and filming permits, location fees, and basic logistics. Gabriel is donating both of his 4K cinema cameras, and all of his fancy gear. We want this to look GOOD. He will direct, and edit. More money brings more production value, more people, and a final product delivered sooner, so Gabriel can afford to edit it full time.
- For those who donate $3,000, you will win a full day shoot with Gabriel behind the lens. Gabriel gets sent all over the world to shoot movies, music videos, TV shows, events, weddings...you will get his skilled eye and 4K cameras (video or stills), to shoot your wedding, music video, portraits, whatever...this prize covers his usual $2000 day rate and gear, and digital delivery of the captured content. This prize does not include travel expenses or post-production. You will also be credited as an Executive Producer and have an open invitation on set during the shoot.
- We have two of Kristen's guitars, autographed by both of us, available to high level donors.
- For mid-level donors we have custom Sapphica hats, autographed production stills, bonus videos, digital downloads of the videos and album, and more.
- Should we not reach our funding goal, we will make this video happen, come hell or high water. We will have to scale back the production, but we'll call upon volunteers as best we can and make SOMETHING cool.
- We are activists for equality. It's in our name. It's in our lyrics. It's in our videos. It's in the way we live our lives every day. We take extreme pride in our creative efforts to advance this cause, and we want you to join us in normalizing the idea that LOVE IS LOVE, gay, hetero, and anywhere in between! We want to present a strong, passionate, proud lesbian heroine to inspire others in a world devoid of gay leads.
- This is your chance to be a part of a big production and get your name on something beautiful. Both iterations of this production will be sexy, powerful, haunting, and epic...you get to have your stamp on it. You get personal possession of the videos, and the pride of knowing you were responsible for bringing it to life.
- We've already made 2 gorgeous music videos, and with mere pennies. With a real budget, we could make something spectacular and very unique. Gabriel is a full-time professional director, cinematographer, and editor. He delivers high-end video products to large clients all over the world. These videos will be a priority, and they will look fantastic.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Help us on set! We need people! Donate your time as a production assistant, grip, extra, actor...all hands on deck! Time is money. Donate your labor!
- SPREAD THE WORD! If you like our music, our videos, our vibe, or just our general scent, send this campaign pitch to everyone you know!!! Maybe they've got a couple bucks hanging around...
- Remember to use the Indiegogo share tools and get the word out!
Let's make a video!