Who Am I?
My name is Eva and I am One Girl Around the World. I am 29 years old, originally from Portugal and I live in London. I used to sail in Portugal for regional and national competitions when I was a teenager, I have never been so healthy!
I love to travel and I make it my goal in life to conquer as much territory as I can and challenge myself everywhere I go.
I grew up in Ivory Coast, I travelled around north America alone in a rented car, I did South East Asia alone as a backpacker and I've worked in Brazil.
It is my dream to travel and take on challenges, so.. I applied for the Clipper Round The World Race 2015 - 2016 and I was accepted! Which means now I need the money to make it become a reality and for that I need your help. Not only to sponsor the race and the costs involved but also to help me raise money for the charity I am supporting with this adventure across the ocean.
What is the Clipper Race?
Picture, content: All rights reserved to: http://www.clipperroundtheworld.com
This is the only race in the world where the organisers supply the fleet of twelve identical, 70-foot, stripped down racing yachts – each sponsored by a brand – and manned with a fully-qualified skipper, employed to lead the crews safely around the globe.
It’s where anyone from any background, culture or age (over 18s) can compete. It’s an experience that will change people’s lives.
The sea does not distinguish between Olympians and normal citizens, the crews need to be ready to face exactly the same challenges as those experienced by the pro racer.
And, when they return from the biggest challenge they have ever faced, the crews bring home countless lessons with them. The importance of teamwork and the importance of respect. Of giving more than you take. Of learning what your body is capable of. An appreciation of cultures, religions, lifestyles and attitudes that connect with communities right around the globe.Because of its amateur status and varied crew profile, don’t for a moment consider this to be some sort of easy option. The crews have to work hard to become winners and it’s not unusual that boats might finish within minutes of each other after three weeks and 3,000 miles of ocean racing.
Pictures, content: All rights reserved to: http://www.clipperroundtheworld.com
My Challenge: South Africa - Australia
Back on board with tales of diving with great whites, safaris and sampling the best of Stellenbosch, the challenging Southern Ocean will be my home and my challenge for three weeks.
About the chosen charity
Who we are |
Reignite is a registered charity in England & Wales established in 2012.
It was founded with the aim of lifting rural African communities from poverty by using a multisectorial approach and valuing local human and natural resources.
Where are we based |
We have a network of volunteers based in Bristol and London; but our operations office is in a small village situated in the northwestern region of Cameroon, called Bambui. This is where we develop the majority of our projects and where our small team of 5 people operates from.
Why Bambui |
Bambui is a small village with approximately 10,000 inhabitants, which has risen to 20,000 in the last two years due to the construction of a University.
Despite enjoying an atmosphere of peace and slight economic growth, this region is still considered to be the 2nd poorest one in the country with 30% of its population still living with less than $1 a day.
Why are we different |
We don't tackle one problem at a time; instead we work very closely with the community in developing an integrated long-term strategy for the general improvement of their living conditions.
For that reason we have projects in a varied range of areas, which tackle social, health, environmental and financial problems simultaneously:
How do we do it |
We work through local partner organisations in order to provide support to project implementation. These local partners are usually non-governmental organisations, local government departments, small private companies and community based organisations.
· Bespoke solutions using the local resources available, and are able to offer financial support by applying for international grants, providing micro credit and develop projects with revolving funds; and,
· Training and technical advice, as well as overall assistance with capacity building, planning, budgeting and institutional development.
We also act as a cooperation platform, through which we seek to partner with international organisations available to link up with local partners.
Why do WE need YOU to help Eva |
With the £3,000 that Eva is hoping to raise for us we can build 6 latrines – one in 6 out of the 18 existing schools. This means that:
· 1,700 children will have access to proper sanitation facilities for the very first time; and,
· More than 10,000 people will enjoy from the health benefits that such technology will bring.
This is what latrines look like today in Bambui schools:
And this is what we want to achieve:
[Please note: Reignite decided to adopt this technology following the recommendations of an EWB-UK Sanitary Engineer that spend 3 months working with us in Bambui. All the materials needed to build this infrastructure are being sold in the local market and technicians have been trained on how to build it]
Now all we and the Bambui Community need, is just a little bit of extra help to make it happen.
Please help Eva help us!
How can you help?
I am asking for £15.000, which is for:
- £5000 for training (This is compulsory and any crew member that participates has to do an intense training course before competing in either UK or Australia)
- £5.900 for taking part on Leg 3 of this competition (South Africa to Western Australia)
- £500 for insurance (This is compulsory and due to the high risk of this challenge it is extremely necessary)
- £600 for flights from London to South Africa and from Australia - not enough, I am hoping to get sponsorship from a travel agent / representative
Making a total of £12,000 to take part on the race
and £3000 for Reignite Action For Development Projects
IF I DO reach my target and you support me on more then one race, which means £5000 extra for each leg of the race and £45.000 to become a circumnavigator (Race around the world for 11 months) then I shall take on the challenge of extra races and as many as possible depending on your donations! with the guarantee that 20% will always go to Reignite.
IF I DON´T reach my target and since this is a flexible campaign then I will give 20% of all donations to the charity and find the remaining funds to achieve my goal.
What You Get
£1 = You are a sponsor
- You will be an official sponsor for this project and I will be forever grateful.
£10 = A thank you
- You will receive a public thank you on One Girl Around the World page and twitter. Please provide personal details (Like the One Girl Around the World page and tell me your name). You will also receive a personalised electronic postcard.
£25 = Merchandise w/ Kids Art
- As a thank you, you will receive a OGATW Tote Bag with Bambui kids art printed and a personal thank you note.
£100 = Merchandising and Postcard
- You will receive OGATW Tote Bag and T-Shirt with Bambui kids art printed and a Postcard from South Africa!!
£300 = Message in the bottle and more
OGATW Merchandise (Tote Bag + T-Shirt) with Bambui kids art printed with a thank you note on the post, a postcard from South Africa and one from Australia and a message in bottle released in the ocean with your personal message from the country of your choice, SA or OZ?
£1000 = Join me for an event of a lifetime
- Aside from a big thank you and a free hug and all the perks above, I would like you to be my guest for the departure ceremony of the race in London and also in South Africa and Australia if logistically possible.
£5000 = Marketing and publicity
- Mainly for companies and anyone who want to share their projects, I will wear gear with your logo on board and while on competition. This is an event with a great amount of exposure. Rules apply, please ask.
£15000 = I will make a tattoo chosen by you!
- You are my heroes!! I will tattoo something of your choose. the only rule is to have the theme: One Girl Around the World! Other then that I will ask everyone to send ideas for a Tattoo to my OGATW page on Facebook and the tattoo that gets the most votes wins!
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can't contribute and you believe in my project and what I stand for then you can help like this:
- Like and share One Girl Around the World Facebook page and all other social networks
- Share the campaign and idea with your friends
- Ask your friends, family and co-workers to contribute
- Send me an email with ideas / comments / Sponsors to contact etc
- Buy merchandising! Store coming soon.
And this is it! This race will change my life, it is a dream I have and I hope you help me achieve it. Not only will you help me achieve something remarkable but also help a charity that helps communities grow and develop. You will make a difference with any contribution. Free hugs are also accepted as a method of currency!
Find us at...
OGATW Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/onegirlaroundtheworld
OGATW Twitter: https://twitter.com/aroundworldgirl
Information about the race: http://www.clipperroundtheworld.com