The New Abolitionist Association and One Love = True Change team up to present RISE UP: the Undaground Railroad workshop series for high school youth. The workshops focus on identity, colonialism, systems of oppression, and political empowerment. NAA and One Love are made up of educators, activists and artists with years of education and youth work experience.
- The New Abolitionist Association is dedicated to empowering young leaders to dismantle the cradle to prison pipeline through education, organizing, and advocacy. We envision a world where all youth have the power to shape the future for themselves, their communities, and their world.
- One Love = True Change is a People's empowerment movement that meets as a culminating monthly event. We are a growing worldwide collective of families, educators, artists, vendors, and activists united in One common mission: to spread love and awareness in order to reclaim our Village from the corporate takeover of our minds, bodies, and spirits.
- NAA and One Love have teamed up to create this workshop series because we believe that social movements are built and sustained through the strength of collective imagination, and we want to bring youth together so that we can begin to dream together.
Gist of the Workshop Series:We take our youth through a journey from the cosmos, indigenous and African folklore, the Untold "Ourstory", dive through pop culture to the depths of themselves and their potential as human beings, down to the traps set before them by imperialism and its descendant neoliberal capitalist policies, and land on the responsibility we all share to create a beautiful life and world for each other. A cradle to prison workshop series like you've never experienced before. Prepare to explore the depths of our spirits and interconnections with one another. We take it there, and break it down in Love terms. You don't want to miss being a part of this experience.
What We Need & What You Get
The biggest thing we need to make these workshops a success are love and positivity, and fortunately we are planning on bringing all that we can. We want to make the participants feel valued and empowered, and for that there are some things that money can buy. With the $500 we have set a goal of raising, we hope to provide:
- Tools for expression and creation - like writing notebooks, posters, art supplies, etc.
- A healthy breakfast and snacks, so that we feed bodies as well as minds and spirits.
- A transportation stipend, so that public transportation fares are not a barrier to participation for students traveling across the city.
- Fliers and postcards for advertising and getting the word out.
Your donation will help us create a safe and positive space for youth. But there are perks! If you give $25, you will get a special shout out on Facebook and Twitter! If you give $50, you'll get that plus two free tickets to a One Love = True Change event! And if you give $500, we'll consider naming our children after you! Plus you'll get a special video shout out. In fact, one random donor will definitely get a special video shout out.
If we don't reach $500, we'll prioritize the spending on the first three items on the list, in descending order.
The New Abolitionist Association and One Love = True Change have teamed up because we believe that more students need access to positive educational experiences. We don't just mean the corny, after school, Disneyfied type of positive, but raw, transformative affirmation that processes trauma and violence into hope, optimism, and POWER. Everyone needs this type of power, and people will too often grab it even when negative. In our experience, and in the experience of our friends and colleagues who work with youth, there is a lack of positive experiences available for all youth, and with this project we want to begin to rectify that.
Members and curriculum writers in NAA have years of education and youth work experience, and a track record of providing high quality educational experience to youth in school and out of school contexts. Your donation will go to a team with a proven track record and a strategic plan to build a social movement with students.
Other Ways You Can Help
Although this Indiegogo was set up with the express purpose of collecting money, it is only a small part of what we need in order to be successful. Here are a few other ways you can help:
1) Promote the workshops to students you know. We're aiming to recruit students from across the DC area to participate, in order to build a regional movement. If you can bring students that you work with, know students who are interested, or know a teacher, mentor or case worker who would be interested, please let them and us know!
2) Help facilitate or support during the workshops. In order to make the workshop experience a memorable, safe, and educational experience, we need several folks to be present at each session in order to make sure things run smoothly. If you would like to participate in this way, please plan on attending a weekly rehearsal before each workshop, so that we can all get on the same page.3) Lend us your skills, talent or ideas. The Undaground Railroad workshop series is just one of the first pieces in our master plan for world domination! Do you have an opportunity that youth can benefit from? Or a desire to build the movement to dismantle the cradle to prison pipeline? If so, get in touch with us, come to a meeting, and let us know your thoughts. We can't build this movement without you!