First off, I want to thank New York Women in Film & Television (NYWIFT) for spotlighting my campaign on their website. As a returning member, I'm super honored:
Like peeling back the layers of an onion, this documentary uncovers a mystery and inadvertent lies – seemingly inconsequential at the time – but which had profound impact on my dad, his band, and our family. And in the process of making this film, I somehow got close to my father in a way that never seemed possible as I started to see the dark places he came from.
Quill was omitted from the Woodstock movie, which is what tanked their career. I plan to rectify that with lost footage I want to show them. If I can raise the first $10K, Indiegogo has offered to help raise the rest. Also, if that's all I raise, it would still mean the most meaningful part of my job will be done in the time constraints which are present at the moment. To document my dad and spend time with him for the first time in my adult life, and to show he and Quill what they did as young men in a timely way.
Who I am and the threefold mystery:
- My name is Amanda Cole, Writers Guild member since 2010 & independent filmmaker.
- My dad is getting older and I am desperate to share what I found with him and collect more! His peers are dropping at an alarming rate! Eek!
- This is not only a missing piece of rock history, but it's also a rock mystery, with a unique American family drama across generations at its heart.
What We Need & What You Get
- A comprehensive 1 hour complete story of Quill, the rise & fall, the people then & now.
- Unique perks include digital rerelease mp3s of Quill's first album, the finished DVD, postcards, band promo shots, remakes of original Quill concert posters, Quill and the Man movie poster, signed by filmmaker and one or more Quill members, plus film credits.
- I need $10K to fly Quill to The Museum at Bethel Woods to film their private screening of what I've found to date and to finish principle shooting. I also need $25K (or more) for licensing costs, super-8 mock 60s footage shoots, VFX, and post production sound. I honestly need more money than this, but you have to start somewhere!
- If I don't meet my entire goal, I will go for the smaller current goal of $10K to film Quill at the Museum at Bethel Woods in the spring of 2018 and to film more with my dad and Quill.
Your contribution will help (re)create rock history and restore a family to truth:
- Quill was at Woodstock, yet so little is known about them, let's fill in that gap.
- Footage that has never been seen will restore Quill to the Woodstock pantheon.
- I uncovered a very strange human drama/mystery which derailed these guys and is waiting to see the light of day.
- As a daughter, this project has brought me closer to my dad in many ways. I also aim to shed light on his current solar project, which he wants to save the world with. Now that's rock n' roll. Let's help dad bring the light.
Risks & Challenges
The risks I take with this project are like many a rock-doc before mine, where licensing and usage fees for film, images and music present a hurdle:
- However, I have access to rights to all of Quill's music, Quill interviews, family and band photos, and some cooler elements to make the rough cut in which to sell the project to entities holding assets.
- I was told by a prominent rock doc lawyer that if I have a compelling twenty minute short doc, I can more than likely secure what I need.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you can't contribute, other things which may be helpful are:
- Get the word out and make some noise about this campaign, especially to friends in the rock documentary world.
- Connections/intros for a great team: producer, editor, and sound(wo)man would be great.
Thank you for taking the time! Let's make it real.