Did you know that 20
million parents of diabetic kids worry EVERY SINGLE NIGHT if their child will be alive in the
Can you imagine that? Sleeping with that fear?
Balancing insulin against food, prior insulin doses, exercise, stress, illness, hormones and many other factors, is an unrelenting, stressful guessing-game.
And to make matters worse, insulin dosing is a best guess – even for doctors.
As a result, 78 million insulin-using adults also fear modifying their doses and their routine.
The current solution consists of
an expensive $5000
Continuous Glucose Monitor, with a sensor that pierces the skin for 3-7 days
an expensive $8000
Insulin Pump, with a tube that pierces the skin for 3 days (ouch again!).
The alternative? Waking up through the night for blood tests, or hoping for the best. Guesswork. Paper and pen.
the overnight problem, by accurately predicting dangerous low blood sugar
levels eight hours ahead. This is a world
first, with 2 provisional patents granted and 7 more to follow.
ManageBGL solves the dosing problem, by calculating doses and tracking prior insulins, exercise, food etc, and using prediction to determine which doses were incorrect, and fixing them.
Currently we use a high-end server to perform the sophisticated calculations required.
Next we need a native app running directly on smart phones and tablets, with the ability to run offline - in a plane, overseas, and without an internet connection.Let's make it an app!
Sample prediction trace (Note, this is NOT from a $5000 CGM!):
All the curves are predictions. Orange circles are actual blood tests, blue shading is the ideal zone, the dark blue line is the blood sugar target, the green bar is 'now' - everything to the right is a prediction.
We also provide, for the first time, INSTANT SHARING of everything - blood sugars, insulin and carbs - as well as predictions. This makes it far easier for everyone from grandparents to teachers to manage diabetic kids properly.
What We Need & What You Get
All the features we describe here are already done. Currently, the ManageBGL website is only available on phones with an internet connection - but it needs to work in planes, overseas and out of coverage areas, such as in buildings.
- We need $30,000 to make medical-grade native apps that are beautiful, fast, easy-to-use, and patient-centric, not doctor-centric, which will work both online and offline.
- This awesome native app for iOS AND Android will provide:
- Dose calculation, with fat and protein too
Precision tracking of insulin remaining
- Prediction of blood sugars for the next 8 hours, giving confidence when sleeping, going out etc
Suggestions for dose changes (that are not phrased in legal-ese)
Instant sharing of ALL data from school to work/home or to any number of carers (Pull, not Push - it doesn't badger everyone with your numbers)
- Handles families with multiple people with diabetes easily
- Points! The most comprehensive points system ever designed to help track progress. Parents can convert points to financial rewards, iTunes vouchers, or whatever makes sense to their family
Log everything. 38 different logs, from blood sugars, insulin, carbs, eye tests, 3 different levels of exercise, stress, illness etc
- Integrate data from 60 different meters, pumps and CGMS devices
- Extensive food database for new foods
Integration of information from Personal Health Devices like Fitbit, JawBone, FuelBand, Shine, TicTrak, FitBit, Validic and more
Reporting and more.
If we don't reach our entire goal, we will develop the apps first, and apply compliance and clinical trials progressively
- You can choose how you'd like to support us - from a Founder listing, a discounted ManageBGL account and more!
- Be the first person at work with our limited edition 'Duck Fiabetes'/ManageBGL mug!
(This is not a typo! Swap the initial letters)
Diabetes affects 382 million people worldwide. As an app, ManageBGL will deliver similar health outcomes to an $8000 insulin pump and $5000 CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor) but at exceptionally low cost - worldwide, not just to first-world countries.
With the ManageBGL app and our prediction system, we can maximize the time that a person's blood sugars spend 'in-range', reducing nasty long term complications like blindness, kidney failure, amputation and stroke, and the huge public health costs associated with these, which we all end up paying for.
- ManageBGL gives people with diabetes confidence to sleep at night with a much higher certainty that they will be alive in the morning.
- ManageBGL is also very useful for people who are not aware when their blood sugar is low - hypoglycaemic unawareness
One in twenty diabetics under the age of 40 who die in their sleep die of an unknown cause. Low blood sugar is suspected (ie insulin overdose), but is hard to prove because blood sugar drops after death. We reduce this risk.
Apart from Lucy and myself, ManageBGL is already helping over 1000 others!
Before this program, I had
no way to predict the impact of insulin and food on my blood glucose levels...I could not manage the math to keep up with how my body was changing
to the sensitivity of the insulin. This program is fantastic. I am able to predict
highs & lows, and adjust my sensitivity based on time of day....needed to aggressively manage
diabetes. It is awesome and should be in all the doctor office recommendations. I am lowering my A1C and aggressively fighting this disease
everyday - Cindy Coates Hickory, North Carolina USA
- Bob is an insulin dependent diabetic – LADA
version. And we are both very interested in anything that would make
hypos easier to avoid. We’ve seen enough of the interior of hospital
- I've had Type 1 diabetes for 24 years, and am the parent of a child with Type 1 diabetes, diagnosed at age 2 (now 9). I understand the difficulties schools and carers have, and ManageBGL is designed to address these
- I have an Honours degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. I am the software architect and CEO of DataMystic; we have spent the last 14 years producing tools for data conversion, data mining and analytics, as well as building and operating websites with huge numbers of users (DownloadPipe), customer billing systems for major energy retailers, and data warehouses for pharmaceutical companies.
- As a person with diabetes, and the parent of a child with diabetes, I understand what patients want - which can be quite different to what doctors want. Diabetes is perhaps the only disease where the doctor prescribes a drug, but doesn't specify how much to have or when to take it. ManageBGL puts these tools in the hands of the patient for the first time, and empowers them to improve their life in a way no doctor can.
December - presented ManageBGL to doctors at the World Diabetes Congress in Melbourne. Doctors arrived saying 'I don't believe you can predict', and left saying 'that is a Really Clever Idea'.
November - won selection to attend the 2013 Diabetes Mine innovation congress at Stanford University, CA.
August - invited to join the Melbourne chapter of SLP - Startup Leadership Program - an entrepreneur group.
With your help we can extend our goals!
Regulatory approval ($10,000) - FDA, TGA (our local authority in Australia), all require registration fees for medical device software. This also ensures that there are feedback mechanism from customers to ensure any problems in the market are ironed out as soon as possible.
- Clinical trials ($100,000) - doctors need an evidence base before they will support any new solution.
What About Other Diabetes Apps?
Current Diabetes Apps cannot distinguish expected high blood sugars from unexpected ones. ManageBGL's predictions provide the context for analysing data and fixing doses - if you did not know what you expected to happen, how on earth can you fix it?
We expect to have an early-stage minimal feature app available for both iOS and Android in early April, and we will add features progressively with projected completion by 1 June.
Questions and Answers
Are you taking orders internationally?
Due to worldwide interest we have included international shipping!
Which phones will ManageBGL support?
We will have BOTH an iPhone app and Android app web dashboard at launch.
Is my data safe?
We already use https encryption for the ManageBGL website, and we are currently implementing a HIPAA/HiTech compliance program that will ensure all personal health data is protected to the fullest extent possible. Read more.
Please email us at crowd@ManageBGL.com
Other Ways You Can Help
Everyone knows a diabetic (or two!):
- Please tell everyone you know - diabetics and non-diabetics alike - help us to get the word out and make some noise about our campaign!
And please remember to use the Indiegogo share tools at the top!
Yours very truly,
Carter (9 years old), with Type 1 diabetes since 2 years old
Her Dad Simon Carter, with Type 1 diabetes for 25 years
382 million people with diabetes worldwide.