Meet Jarvis Mitchell. He coaches girls' basketball in Detroit. He trains them to become All-Americans despite the obstacles that stand before them. At 5'10", the now retired point guard from Flint, Michigan had to fight his way to gain respect on the court and eventually the success for which he hungered: playing professional basketball. But was it worth the price he had to pay?
Welcome! And Why This Project?
So why do I want to tell this story so badly?
- To prove to America that in fact one person CAN make a difference in the lives of so many people, especially our young people. Even in a hard-hit city like Detroit.
- For our kids to see that no matter what situation you come from, with hard work, determination, faith, and patience you can achieve anything you set your mind to achieve.
To shine a light on those who may have lost faith in God at some point that it can always be regained, and when it is, beautiful things can and WILL happen.
With your help, Passion + Preparation will have the power to impact the life of every young basketball player who dreams of becoming something greater than what their current circumstances seem to allow, and to inspire adults who may have otherwise given up on themselves to dig deeper and find the will within them to make the necessary changes to lead a more fulfilling life that gives back to others as well.
What We Need & What You Get
We looking to raise $14,200 to produce Passion + Preparation (really $13,000 but there are fees for running the campaign). The overwhelming majority of the funds will be spent on travel to and from Michigan, New Jersey, California, and most significantly, Latvia.
The remainder will be spent on crew expenses (a Director of Photography and second camera operator) for an estimated 25-30 shoot days over a 6-8 month time frame, and equipment rental.
I am contributing $4000 of my own funds to be toward post-production, promotions, marketing, and film festival entry fees and travel (not included in the above infographic).
If the entire goal is not reached, funds will still be used toward the above expenses, we just may have to reduce the number of shoot days and possibly eliminate travel to one of the locations. But we're not going to let that happen, are we? Instead, we anticipate that funds above and beyond the goal will go toward post-production expenses.
Now the fun part - Perks!
Besides great karma and a possible tax deduction (check with your tax advisor for details), you can get some pretty cool Passion + Preparation swag including:
- Social media shout out
- Regular project updates and access to behind-the-scenes footage
- Passion + Preparation wristbands
Passion + Preparation t-shirt
- Autographed copy of Jarvis Mitchell's book (coming late 2013/early 2014)
- Autographed memorabilia from the film and the trailer
- One-on-one basketball skills training with Jarvis Mitchell
- On screen credit - including Associate Producer, Producer, and Executive Producer credits
- Tickets to the premiere screening and reception
- VIP seating at the premiere screening and reception
- Invitation-only Meet and Greet with the director/producer Heidi Lawson and Jarvis Mitchell
Do We Know What We're Doing?We'd like to think so! But you be the judge. My first feature film as co-producer/co-director/co-writer Hit a Lick is currently in post-production with an interested distributor; check out the trailer here: http://youtu.be/WJ5U5rZQY5o. My Director of Photography Tripp Green, not only was DP for Hit a Lick and is for Passion + Preparation, he's been the DP on 3 other feature films (Secrets in the Snow and Secrets in the Fall, both of having distribution, and most recently Changeover (website) which is in post-production), as well as national commercials and a television pilot.
Other Ways You Can Help
Spread the word! Tell your friends, family, co-workers, clients, customers, neighbors, fellow churchgoers, random person on the street or in your network - share the campaign and especially the trailer with them. Whatever you can do to help will be sincerely appreciated. God bless.