We're Bryan Crowe of Destination El Paso and Emily Martin Loya of KCOS, El Paso's PBS station.
Our organizations have teamed up with PBS Digital Studios to launch a new digital web series called, "Only in El Paso" a collection of 10 short episodes produced by 10 talented El Paso digital storytellers.
Each episode will tell a unique and positive story about someone or something that can be experienced Only in El Paso. Digital storytellers are documenting specific stories covering a variety of themes such as the arts scene, food, traditions, music, living on the border, economic growth, local attractions or being bicultural.
We've created this Only in El Paso series so that El Pasoans can tell their own stories of our community, and share what they want locals and visitors to know about El Paso from an insider perspective. Recently, public media productions like One Square Mile: Texas, The Daytripper, and even NPR have shared their own takes on El Paso, but it's time for more of us to tell the El Paso stories of our own choosing.
If you live in El Paso, or grew up here, you know that El Paso has a lot to offer and hundreds of years of culture and history. We want to tell the stories we are proud of and capture the flavor and variety of the people that make El Paso so unique.
We received nearly 30 applications from El Paso area digital storytellers with tons of great stories that they are all excited to share with you and the world. We narrowed it down to 10 based on their story ideas, video clips, and passion for the project.
Each of these 10 short videos, once produced, will be shared via KCOS and Destination El Paso, and also through the PBS Digital Studios YouTube Channel. The series will premiere in July 2014 with the release of a new episode each week.
What We Need & What You GetBut we need your help! In order to fully fund this project and make it a success, we need to raise at least $20,000 to fund the stipends for each digital storyteller and purchase some much needed equipment for filming and editing. *Raise $10,000 through donations on Indiegogo and PBS Digital Studios matches those $10,000 to equal $20,000.
PBS Digital Studios will actually match up to $20,000 raised by individual and corporate donations for this project. So let's exceed our goal! Additional funds raised will help KCOS purchase digital video cameras, lights, microphones and other equipment to loan to producers and allow KCOS to continue making digital series like Only In El Paso.
So we're asking you to support this project, and help share these creative and unique stories about a place we love- El Paso.
Plus- we have a lot of rockin' thank you gifts for your donations including:
- Visit El Paso Water bottle
- El Paso. It's All Good T-shirt
- A DVD of the entire series with extra footage and outtakes
- Tickets to our Season Celebration at the end of the summer (Aug. 28th)
- VIP event tickets for the Season Celebration (Thursday evening, August 28th at the El Paso Community Foundation Room)
And don't forget- give generously, because every dollar is doubled, so your gift goes twice as far!
Other Ways You Can Help
Not able to give at this time? Or you made your gift, but want to do more?
- Help us spread the word about Only in El Paso and this campaign using #OnlyinElPaso
- Ask your friends to support us too- Use the Indiegogo share tools below- it's easy!
And that's all there is to it. Thanks for reading and viewing and being part of this positive and unique El Paso project!
Just released! Episode topics!
· Barrio Skateshop- Luis Galindo
· Plaza Classic Film Festival- Ryan Riddle
· El Paso Food trucks/Food entrepreneurs – Jesus Nuñez
· Downtown Artist and Farmers Market – Tony Dueñez
· Sonic Ranch- Meagan O’Toole Pitts and Alan Esparza
· Norteño trios – John Leo De Frank
· Casa de Yoga – Peter Svarzbein
· El Paso Ghost Tours – Ramon Villa
· Jay J. Armes: The man behind the legend – Robert Tibuni, Jr.
· El Paso’s outdoors: hiking, biking and more – Marcus Seegers
When you give, let us know which episode you are most excited to see!