Nowhere Here Now is a sci-fi family adventure set in TRON-O, an ecological utopia where all the children have mysteriously fallen asleep. The film follows a mother of the only child left awake. When the child suddenly disappears, she sets out to find her, and in doing, discovers the root of TRON-O’s great suffering.
Inspired by the myth of Demeter and Persephone and the film, The NeverEnding Story, Nowhere Here Now is about leaving paradise to look for someone you may not find, but you must try anyway. It's narratology is designed to bring this impulse to the story of our present-day climate crisis: for the invisible imagination to become a real part of our everyday life.
In true mythic form, this story is an EPIC trilogy. It is followed by As Below, So Above - told from the missing child's point of view, then ending with Emptiness, a cosmic perspective.
HI! My name is Irene Cortes and I'm the founder of ThreeEstudios - a film studio that reinterprets the film production process as a catalyst for ecological engagement. I've been making films, theatre, opera, writing children's books, taking photos, DJing, making music, writing poetry and staging interventionist performance work as activism for 18 years. This approach to making films is what I've come up with.
Historically, artists participate in "movements" that define approaches to expression. As a contributor, you will be at the forefront of supporting a NEW MEDIUM! I call it a BUILDING FILM. It is a method of creating inspiring movies, but also benefits our ecology while challenging traditional approaches to filmmaking.
Tubao, La Union, PhilippinesThe set design is deeply inspired by Buckminister Fuller's geodesic dome and the Bahay Kubo, a traditional filiipino hut. Using materials indigenous to the location, this set design will look futuristic and "natural," while providing renewable energy to the surrounding community.
What will we accomplish with $140,673?
- transport of solar equimpment and trained engineers to the Philippines
- acquiring building materials
- hiring local builders
- build a micro-grid
- provide training for locals on how to maintain the plant
- a documentary on the "making of" the set
Our budget details can be viewed here.
What will we accomplish with more than $140,673?
We will be able to build a larger set, beef up the technology while extending the micro-grid to many more families. There are over 200 households in the area. It's our ultimate goal to reach them all.
If we reach waay more than our goal, there are other locations we have established partnerships with: Art Institutes in Catalunya, an Orphanage in Mongolia, LGBT youth in Uganda, Buddhist temple in Korea, Native Reserves in Canada. We won't stop!
What will happen if we don't reach our target?
We will still move forward. The land in Tubao has been acquired and is dedicated for this purpose. With the funds we raise, we will continue to build partnerships, establish a solid bedrock for the set and continue to fundraise. Money attracts money, no?
I am fully committed to realizing this film and others like it, and plan to do so for the rest of my life.
What do you get?
We have a number of perks that we hope will satisfy. They include mobile solar products, art prints, handmade sculptures, downloads and more! For those interested in becoming a producer, we have an open invitation and a home for you in the Philippines while we build the set. If you are interested in participating beyond $10,000, please email us at email@example.com
- Help invigorate a community by building clean energy as architecture inspiring beauty and pride for their home
- Be a part of the first wave of supporters for this style of filmmaking
- Know that by watching, we affect the world around us - how eloquent to achieve this realization through the medium of film.
- With this approach, I have intialized the development of 2 small-scale powerplants: the first in Tubao, Philippines, the other in Catlunya, Spain.
- With your contribution, we will build a really cool looking set that is both functional and beneficial to developing communities, and that will tell a story for generations to come!
- In 2012, I wrote, directed and premiered an opera that builds solar sculptures as part of the performance. Since then, I have been invited to Uganda, Berlin and Seoul.
We intend to make a film that engages an audience to be ecologically critical while inspiring enthusiasm for the potential of this production process.
Some just can’t contribute, but that doesn’t mean they can't help. We need evangelists - people who are willing to use their social media stock to help spread the campaign!
SHARE on FACEBOOK / TWEET / EMAIL / SMS
Simply paste the link and ask others to share with you. We do what we can and we can do a lot by just clicking a few buttons.