Normandy: A World Apart tells the story of Harry Snyder, a
92-year-old WWII veteran who travels from his home in Philadelphia back
to the shores of Omaha Beach in France where he fought during the
invasion of Normandy, 70 years ago.
June 2014 will be the 70th anniversary of the invasion of Normandy—a monumental battle that turned the tides of World War II and stood as a symbol of hope for the Allied Forces. Each day we lose a saddening amount of World War II veterans and time is of the essence to capture their incredible stories for future generations.
We fight to create this documentary now, while we still have access to first hand accounts of that invasion, because it is so incredibly important to our youth and to our future. We no longer have any World War I veterans alive today and soon—sooner than we’d like—World War II will follow.
My love of history and our veterans started at a very young age. I grew up listening to my grandfather's war stories, who caught the end of World War II and went on to serve in the Korean and Vietnam Wars. His father had served in the Navy during World War I and his uncle fought in the Ardennes during the Battle of the Bulge.
I was absolutely fascinated by the color slides and old pictures my grandfather took in Japan and Saigon. I knew that I somehow wanted to make sure that others got to celebrate their family's military heritage too.
- Britt (Director of Normandy: A World Apart)
Our goal is to make this project as interactive and as personalized as possible. Therefore, we are still actively looking for veterans of D-Day and the invasion that would like to be part of the documentary.
Do you know a veteran that served during the invasion of Normandy? Please contact us and let us honor your loved one.
In order to professionally produce this documentary to the quality standards we believe it deserves, we are in need of $20,000 for principal photography costs.
$20,000 might sound like a lot of money, but most feature films work on much higher budgets. How can we create something on such a small budget? We've broken the budget down into the chart below that lists the percentages of what we will need:
- It's going to cost $14,300 for travel and food? Yes! There are seven of us traveling from Philadelphia to various places in France for the duration of principal photography. You'll be covering airfare to France, hotels, van rental, gas for the van, and food so we can eat.
- Why so little for equipment? We're renting equipment. It's cheaper and more effective for this project. We've economized our rental budget into several cameras, lenses, lights, and audio equipment.
- What are expendables? We'll be needing to purchase some crucial items, including storage backup, outlet converters, batteries, postage/shipping costs, etc. We're also factoring in emergency funds.
- What if our goal isn't met? We'll cut costs and make do. We're prepared for the worst, but are hoping for the best. We will NOT cut anything away from our budget allotted to Harry's comfort. If we don't feel Harry could make the journey safely and comfortably, we will postpone until funds allowed it.
- How is this tax deductible? We're a 501(c)(3) sponsored project! This is all in part to our wonderful fiscal sponsor, From the Heart Productions. When making your donation you'll receive a receipt you can submit for taxes.
If you haven't already looked at the sidebar, we have an extensive list of perks offered as thanks for your wonderful contribution to the project! As we gain more sponsors and supporters we'll be adding onto these perks too.
Indiegogo Exclusive Perks:
- Early access to photo book purchase - Be one of the first able to purchase our photo book and journal of our travels through Normandy with Harry! You will be notified about updates regarding the book, including when and where it can be purchased.
- Limited edition photo book signed by the cast and crew - Take home this photo book with exclusive images only released to those who donate during this campaign. Comes with a limited edition cover.
- Normandy: A World Apart t-shirt - Get this exclusive t-shirt only by donating through Indiegogo, including logo from all of our sponsors. Wear it proudly and let everyone know you contributed to a piece of history.
What if we happen to surpass our funding goal? We have even more cool things to offer our supporters!
With your contribution you will be helping see this project come to fruition and assist in our goal of immortalizing our veteran's stories for their families. Normandy: A World Apart will be shared not only with our supporters, but with educators, other veterans, and students throughout the world.
Above all, this documentary aims to remember the fleeting moment that
is life—and the ultimate sacrifice that so many gave during the summer
We are doing this because we care deeply about giving back to our veterans and honoring their service. With your help, our World War II veterans and their experiences during the Second World War will be remembered for generations to come.
As a documentary with a unique personal insight into one man’s account of World War II, our production crew aims to carry its message as far as possible in hopes to honor the legacy of our heroes.
If you can't contribute, it doesn't mean you can't help. Be sure to:
- Make some noise about our campaign and share our social media posts.
- Share the Indiegogo! Tweet, Facebook, etc.
Aside from updates here, you can check us out and interact with us on our various social media accounts:
We deeply appreciate your support for this important historical undertaking!
contact us and we'll be happy to work with you.
- The Normandy: A World Apart Crew