The Nook Needs New Digs!
To keep up with demand and continue to grow we're going to need to get out of the Nook and into a decent space. I mean really, my family would like it if I stopped encroaching on their space and spending every evening at the sewing machine.
So, I've located a couple of spaces that aren't frontage retail but can provide some location based exposure (most of our business is derived from internet sales outside our immediate area) and much needed space to add a couple of staff and supporting equipment to help us meet the demand. Here's what we need:
- Build out fees for the space. We're looking at about 1500 sq feet that will need to have some electrical run to the work tables along with other minor changes that we've been unable to negotiate with the lease providers.
- At least 4 3' x 5' work tables to lay out the projects. One table per staff member (this will increase our staff by 2)
- Administrative work space for our current Operations Manager. Currently she's stuck at a card table!
- Sales office for a new staff member who will be in charge of getting and managing the larger orders
- 2 Additional sewing machines
- 1 cutting machine which will help us cut multiples all at the same time - a big improvement and time saver!
- Wall storage for all the "stuff" that goes along with this business: Fabric, gemstones, notions etc. If you look at my nook now you'll see it's everywhere!
- Miscellaneous expenses that no one ever plans for but seem to crop up when you least expect it!
Whatever we are able to raise will go toward the expenses above. If we don't reach our goal we'll still need to move from the Nook, it may be a slower process.
By now you may be asking, why not get a loan? Every small business owner knows the last thing you need when you're trying to grow is more debt. Personally this is not the first business I've had or grown, you can read about my 15 yr old internet company and you'll know how I was able to market this new business so well and gain momentum so quickly. I know what it takes to grow a business and I've used debt in the past to help grow but really, it's not the best way to do things in the current economy. I want to keep this business debt free.
That's why we, as a small company, are turning to you. But your help will not be without perks!Have you got spirit?!
Who knew that competitive cheerleading would yield the great beginnings of a unique little business? When I started out it was just sewing a couple of things for teammates of my daughter's competitive cheer team - cheer shoe covers (now known as Shouter Wear) and American Girl doll uniforms to match the team. Little did I know that barely a year later I would have a business that has out grown my little nook in the rec room.I started by listing one uniform and the shoe covers on Etsy at the end of 2012. A few months ago I put up my "official" website. The orders for the last quarter of 2013 (about half from Etsy, half from my website) kept me working long days, hiring a small staff and we're busting out at the seams. Currently we've got so many orders that our awesome (customers) fans wait 12 weeks for delivery. The demand for my products means there is a need more equipment, more help, and most of all, more space! Our goal is to sustain our current growth rate and produce orders faster. That's where you can help!
I am Annique, the crafty alter ego of my "real" self, Teajai (T J) Kimsey. I started this business after making a pair of cheer shoe covers for my daughter, which lead to making replica doll sized cheer uniforms.
Although I hold a degree in Business Administration & a MS in Management, I've actually been sewing since I was about 9. I've always loved sewing, anything from my niece's custom designed prom creations to teddy bears that matched child pajamas for Christmas one year.
But back to why you're here....
Every contribution will be rewarded no matter how small. Here are a few of our perks:
Just one of our perks, for $15 we'll send your choice of one of these cheer themed posters, designed by Annique. See a complete list of perks on the right.
T-ShirtsEvery cheerleader loves her t-shirts and these are a great way to help fund our new digs. For every $30 contribution you get your choice of these 2 t-shirts:
Other Ways You Can Help
Can't contribute? You can still help!
- Tell others about this campaign! Spread the word to friends and ask them to take a look.
- Use the Indiegogo share tools!
Thanks a bunch!