About DANK HausThe DANK Haus is Chicagoland’s premier German
American Cultural Center. It is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization committed to
preserving and promoting German and German American culture, heritage, and
language through educational and social programming. It is located in Chicago's
traditionally German neighborhood, Lincoln Square.
Core programming includes German Language School for children and adults, rotating Fine Arts and Museum exhibits, monthly Open Haus, Kulturkueche – cooking classes, German Cinema Now, Kino Kaffee und Kuchen, World Cup viewing, Oktoberfest, and New Year’s Eve Silvester Ball. The DANK Haus is a core member of the Chicago Cultural Alliance – a consortium of ethnic museums, cultural centers, and historical societies whose mission is to effect social change through cultural diversity.
A New Screen for DANK HausOur educational and social programming involves the use of a projector
and screen to show live events, movies, and presentations.
Unfortunately, DANK has never had a proper projection screen to use
during these events and has been using large white sheets to project on.
This is not the type of experience we want for our guests and hope you
can help us change this!
In 2014, we have multiple reasons to improve our screen quality and the experience:
- The FIFA World Cup is happening in Brazil this year and DANK Haus will open it's doors and host viewing parties for all games that involved the German National Team.
- Negotiations are happening with a German movie distributor, which would allow us to show up-to-date movies that are currently out in the movie theaters in Germany.
- Eurovision has a long tradition in Europe and this year DANK Haus will host the first official viewing party.
- Continue to offer Kino, Kaffee, und Kuchen, a weekly showing of Heimat movies with a traditional German afternoon coffee and cake social for our senior members.
Why Crowdfunding?DANK Haus
is part of the DANK National organization, which is funded by
memberships. However, the majority of the funds remain in the National
office and the local DANK Haus is only receiving a very small fraction of the
The funds we do get are used primarily for our educational programming at the language school, cultural events programming, and at times for the upkeep of the physical building at 4740 N. Western Ave. in Chicago. Therefore, we are reaching out to the greater DANK community to help us fund the screen so we may provide a better experience when hosting events at the DANK Haus.
We would like to purchase a screen that can be moved throughout the Haus depending on the event type and audience size. Therefore, the cost for a screen size large enough to properly fit all of our rooms is around $1,300 plus $200 in taxes, shipping, fees, and setup (labor).
How Can You Help?
- Contribute directly to this project (all contributions are tax-deductible!)
- Share this project with your relatives, friends and neighbors
- Attend our events