- After 6 months of silence from the USDA there was finally some indictments. 4 people, including the owners of Rancho were indicted for deceiving USDA officials. However, there's much more to this story and we have al the info!
- 3 weeks ago a slaughterhouse serving several small, local farmers in upstate New York was shut down for a very strange reason. We need to get out there to tell this story.
- Last week a slaughterhouse that provided sustainably raised, ethically treated meat in Madison, Wisconsin was forced to close it's doors for another odd and completely different reason. This story will also be featured in our film with your help!
- We have uncovered a startling similarity between all the slaughterhouse forced into closure by the USDA. It is our intent to expose this issue.
What We Need & What You Get
We need to raise money for some very simple and straightforward things...
- We need to fly to Washington D.C. to interview USDA officials
- We need to hire legal counsel for both the duration of the film and beyond. There are many nuances and coverups scattered throughout this story. A lawyer is a must.
- We need to fly to upstate New York as well as Madison, Wisconsin to interview those affected by their local slaughterhouse being shut down.
- I need to pay my amazing cameraman who has been working this story with me for no pay thus far
Why this film is important and why we need your help...
There is mass disinformation and confusion about sustainable farming as it pertains to animals. Our film will help people understand what sustainability means in terms of raising animals as well as how important it is we have choices in our (extremely broken) food system.
Rather than use scare tactics or propaganda designed to push an agenda as most food documentaries do, ours will be a completely honest film that is being made to raise interest and make viewers think about the issues at hand. For instance...
- What is sustainable and ethical farming?
- Should humans be eating meat at all?
- Is it ethical to kill animals to feed human beings? Is there such thing as "humane slaughter?"
- What has happened to our food system in the U.S. and can it be fixed? If so, how?
The Road Traveled So Far...
Since the story of the Rancho recall 6 months ago, I've learned so much about the daunting and upsetting issues facing small, local farmers. The more I've discovered, the more upsetting the overreaching recall at Rancho becomes. This film has changed my life and the way I think about life and I think it can do the same for viewers once it's finished.
We've applied for grants as well as sponsorships and as of yet, none have materialized. Rather than just give up, I've decided to push even harder as I truly believe this is an important, impactful story that needs to get out in the world.
I've had great success on the film festival circuit as well as with distribution on every film I've made so far and I know that if we can just get enough people to donate and we can secure these last few interviews and a lawyer, this film will change lives.
Other Ways You Can Help
Please spread the word to anyone you can think of who shares an interest in these ideas.
Help us get on the road to tell this story!