Help Mivos Quartet Get to Asia This October
Hi, we’re Mivos Quartet, a New York based string quartet dedicated to performing and commissioning contemporary music, and collaborating with experimental artists across many genres. We formed in 2008 and over the past five years we’ve kept busy, and our activities have taken us across the United States, Europe and Asia. We’re passionate about discovering & promoting the best new music being created today.
For the past ten months we’ve been planning an extensive tour of Asia this October. To make the most out of such a long journey, we've combined performances with educational activities, which will allow us to both expand our international audience and help discover and support the young composers and musicians in the new music communities of the East Asia.
We need your help to raise the funds for the remaining travel costs to get us there!
Our first stop will be Shanghai for 2 concerts in the Shanghai New Music Week, held annually at the conservatory. We'll give one concert of repertoire pieces by Cage, Lachenmann & Rihm, as well as a portrait concert of Luo Zhongrong.
We're also excited to be giving a masterclass and composer reading session for international composition students at the conservatory, a great opportunity for us to connect with the young talent at one of the most well known Chinese music institutions.
Our next stop will be Malaysia, where we'll be performing at Kuala Lumpur's leading new music venue, Toccata Studio. Our concert will include a performance of a string quartet by Malaysian composer Ng Chor Guan. The day after the concert we will hold another workshop/reading session for young composers there.
From Malaysia we head over to Japan for concerts in Kyoto & Nagoya, Japan.
Our last stop on the tour will be Hong Kong, where we have 3 engagements. The first concert will be part of the Sonic Anchor Series. The 2nd will be a performance at the Hong Kong University for Science and Technology. Our final concert will feature the winner of our first I Creation/Mivos International Composition Prize for Chinese Composers. We teamed up with the Hong Kong-based I Creation to sponsor a composition prize for composers of Chinese descent, as way of discovering and highlighting the new generation of young Chinese composers. The winner will receive a cash award, a performance in this concert as well as another performance in New York during our 2013-14 season.
Here's the outline:
- Oct. 14th: Performance of music by Cage, Rihm and Lachenmann - Shanghai Conservatory New Music Week
- Oct. 15th: Performance of music by Luo Zhongrong - Shanghai Conservatory New Music Week
- Oct. 16th: Masterclass for International composition student
- Oct. 20th: Performance at Toccata Studio, Kuala Lumpur
- Oct. 21st: Workshop at Toccata Studio, Kuala Lumpur
- Oct. 22nd: Workshop for student compsers at LaSalle College, Singapore
- Oct. 24th: Performance in Tokyo, Japan
- Oct. 26th: Performance in Kyoto, Japan
- Oct. 27th: Performance Nagoya, Japan
- Oct. 28th: Performance at the Hong Kong Arts Center
- Oct. 29th: Performance at HKUST, Hong Kong
- Oct. 31st: Prize-winning concert of I Creation/Mivos Prize at SOUTHSIDE, Hong Kong
This tour will be an extensive and exciting journey of performances and outreach events. With your help we can make this happen!
We've compiled a great list of thank you gifts for various levels of support. Any and all contributions made, large or small, will be greatly appreciated and are tax-deductible via our fiscal sponsor, Fractured Atlas.
Other Ways You Can Help
If you are are excited about our artistic endeavors and would like to help, but don't have the funds to contribute at the moment, you can still help us by:
- Spreading the word about our campaing to your friends and colleagues online.
- If you happen to have lots of airline miles racked up and would like to donate them, please contact us.
We thank you in advance for helping us get to Asia for this incredible artistic adventure!
Olivia, Mariel, Josh & Victor