INTRODUCTION TO JUDY
Dr. Judith Shepard Gomez has spent her entire professional career and personal life devoted to helping others work towards becoming more open, accepting and honoring of people of diverse backgrounds. She is passionate about inclusion, and as Professor of Sociology, a Professional Mediator and a Meditation Teacher, has pioneered Workshops for small and large groups that are designed to raise awareness of the challenges of inclusiveness, and explore the paths towards personal and group transformation.
She lives in the Southwest with her long term partner, whom she officially married on March 30th of this year. They have three adult children, two Sons in Law, one Fiancée, and 10 Grandchildren ranging in age from 5-24. She has lived the experience captured in this powerful book and is passionate about creating the moment for others to heal division, and nurture understanding, strength and love.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CAMPAIGN
"Mia's Two Grammas--a child's coming out Story" is a children's picture book for ages 2-10. In 32 pages, it tells the story of Mia struggling with the dilemma of whether to bring Gay Grandmas to Grandparents day at her school.
The money from this campaign will be used to accomplish as many of the the following goals as possible. We feel strongly that each goal is an essential part of the process of helping diverse families to reach out to each other, and to others, to share who they are with strength and pride.
1. Hire an Illustrator to capture the essence of the story in a way that is easily engaging to children, parents, Grandparents, teachers.
2. Self Publish the Book in a large enough volume to allow distribution throughout the United States, in both urban and rural area.
3. Design and publish a Website and a mobile App that will encourage interactive discovery on themes of inclusion, resilience, family diversity, and inter-generational understanding and acceptance
4. It will allow Dr. Gomez to hire an illustrator, print hard cover deluxe editions of the book, build a distribution network, and, if possible, begin the process of translation into other languages for families in other countries where Gay marriage, and Gay Grandparents live and struggle to share their lives openly with their own children and grandchildren.( Spanish, French, Hebrew will be the first translations)
5.Design and implementation of a series of Workshops on Nurturing Inclusive Families that can be offered to schools, religious communities, YMCAs and other community institutions
6. Write and Publish books on diverse families. In fact we envision a series called “The Gramma Chronicles” in which each book is based on a family with different ethnic, religious, cultural heritage.
WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT
I have lived the experience in this book many times with my Grandchildren and their friends. Although there are a few books (very few) that introduce and explore the world of families with Gay parents, there are none with Gay Grandparents as the focus. In todays world, children spend many years in very deep and close contact with their grandparents, yet they have no children's books to help open the dialogue about any challenges they, the children, may face in “coming out” to their friends about their special and unique family. This Book was written to be just such a point of conversation, tears, growth, bonding, resilience builder.
HOW SUPPORT WILL HELP
Your support will make all of the above possible. It will provide the much needed funds to hire and illustrator, self publish the book and an accompanying workbook, and website, and enable Dr. Gomez to travel to cities other than her own to give readings, lead workshops, build community with other special but different families of all kinds.
If we raise $10,000 we can do the publishing. If we raise 15,000 we can create and publish the Website, If we raise $20,000 we can distribute it all over the country, reaching parents, children and Grandchildren in areas where they may at this time feel completely isolated and not know where to turn for help in building resilience in their own families and those of their friends and neighbors.
We deeply appreciate your support and your help.