My name is Yudo Robert Yorga and I am the founder of a zen community in Minneapolis, Minn.
The zen community is called Orchids and Bones. I chose orchids and bones because they epitomize the qualities we are trying to manifest in ourselves, grace, beauty, gentleness, strength, and structure.
I began formal practice in 2007 with my first sesshin or week-long retreat. In 2009 I met my zen teacher, Junpo Denis Kelly and I immediately saw the value of his teachings. Emphasizing the importance of awareness training so that we truly understand the information buried beneath the surface noise of our emotions. We are able to transform ourselves and our relationships by meeting each moment with increased clarity and understanding.
I have been working with these teachings for about four years now and want to bring this to my hometown of Minneapolis. I established Orchids & Bones in February of 2013; we meet weekly for meditation and discussion. A number of people have suggested a more intensive period of meditation and this brings us to the zazenkai or day-long meditation retreat.
To host a day-long retreat I need about five more sets of cushions or zafus/zabutons and an inkin or bell to begin and end zazen or a meditation period. I have bought a few sets of cushions already and I would like to get more as our community is getting larger.
So this is what I will spend the funds on....
- 5 sets of zafus/zabutons
- An inkin bell
- If I raise an additional $1500.00 we will be able to buy a big bell for morning service
- If I raise a lot more than $2500.00 I will be able to buy more cushions, more instruments, and also do more outreach.
What you get for your money
- You will know that you are helping a super worthy cause by increasing awareness and emotional maturity in people's lives.
There are some nice thanks you's over in the column on the right.
- You will be directly helping of a day-long retreat happen on March 22nd.
- You will be helping the long-term ability of this group to help others
Other Ways You Can Help
- You can share this campaign with your friends who you think might want to help, thanks!