Meet our protagonist played by Mel Shimkovitz:
- My name is Devon Kirkpatrick and I'm a writer/director/islander and most recently a fellow of the 2014 American Film Institute's Directing Workshop for Women! I've been lucky enough to be chosen for this highly selective program, and am set to go into production on my short film Ma/ddy this July! Check out the Hollywood Reporter for a great piece about the program, as well as IndieWire's recent interview with AFI DWW head PattyWest!
Why Ma/ddy Matters:
Ma/ddy features Skylar Murphy, a genderqueer butch who lost their wife, Katie, in an accident. Before her death, the couple had been trying to conceive using invitro fertilization. It is now a year after Katie's passing, and Skylar has made the decision to carry their child using one of Katie's fertilized embryos. Skylar works as a veterinarian at a rescue shelter in Los Angeles. At its core, Ma/ddy is a story about facing grief through enduring love and the obstacles Skylar must overcome to create the family they've always dreamed of.
- This film is significant as it features a genderqueer butch character in a starring role. We are witnessing a radical change in American culture as ideas of family are being redefined personally and projected in the media. The queer community especially is at the heart of this idea of "alternative families" as legal support increases for gay adoptions and marriage equality state by state. Ma/ddy represents a current generation of the queer community contending with the unique challenges in creating a family and creating one that is authentic to them. These challenges aren't just within the larger context of mainstream society, but also in the nuanced ideas of gender and identity among fellow queers.
- A recent article in Slate magazine comments on the lack of butch characters in mainstream television, "A blunt-spoken butch could easily fit the archetype of a fool who speaks
truth to power. A wisecracking butch would make for an ideal sidekick. A
hypercompetitive butch would be a fun villain, while a sensitive butch
could be a hero." Read the full article here. By participating in this campaign, you can be a part of making this shift happen!
- Huffington Post LIVE featured a video piece about what BUTCH and 'manly women' can teach us about maleness. Check out the video here!
The G&T (Give and Take):
- As a fellow in AFI's Directing Workshop for Women, I will have the opportunity to hone my directing skills under the guidance of acclaimed directors Jamie Babbitt (But I'm a Cheerleader), Kimberly Peirce (Boys Don't Cry), and Patty Jenkins (Monster). Though AFI provides many technical and educational resources for filmmakers, we fellows are responsible for raising all funds needed to get our movies made!
We are lucky enough to have a significant portion of our funding in place, however now is the time when we need your help!
- My Indiegogo fundraising goal of $8,000 will cover a myriad of crucial production costs, that will get us ready to go into production this summer. From gas costs to location rental fees, from breakfast burritos for our awesome crew, to the equipment they'll be using!
Ma/ddy Merch:We've got some awesome perks in exchange for your generosity! Every donation will also be thanked in the credits of the film.
$25 - Custom-designed Ma/ddy magnet:
Slap it on your fridge.
$35 - Personalized Thank you Video cards from Devon's Dogs!
How much would it blow your mind to get a personalized video thank you video like this one from one of THESE GUYS??
$50 - Eden's Savory Sap's: Limited Quantity!!
The perfect addition to any cocktail or mocktail ~ Eden's Savory SAP is lovingly handmade by Eden and her friends in Los Angeles. Click here to learn more!
$60 - Custom-designed Ma/ddy Tote Bag:
For all your toting needs...Notebooks, groceries, diapers, what have you...
$75 - Artist-made Custom Baby/Pet Collage by Amy von Harrington!
Participants at the $75 level will receive a custom collage made by visual artist Amy von Harrington featuring your kid, K9, feline, bird, or whatever it is you call your "baby". Digital copy as well as printed and framed version! KA-BOOM!
$100 - Palaka print Hawaiian bow-tie made by Alohabows!
Contributions at the $100 level will enjoy a hand-sewn bow-tie made by Alohabows! Palaka is the "denim" of the original Hawaiian cowboys, or cowgirls, and the perfect accessory for your tough guy image... Check me out in mine! Limited Quantity Available!
Like what you see? Feel like giving more? Check out the side-bar for information about what our high-level participants can expect!
$500 Commissioned Pet Portrait by Actor/Artist Mel Shimkovitz!
Two lucky contributors at the $500 level will receive a framed 8.5x11" custom pet portrait by our lead actor and visual artist Mel Shimkovitz. This is a perk not to be missed! Get it while you can!
Help a Brutha Out:
I understand that not everyone can contribute financially, but there are so many other ways that you can participate in this project!
- Post a link to this campaign on facebook or twitter! Don't forget to hashtag #AFIDWW and #Maddyfim
- Check back often to Indiegogo and Creative District, where I will be tracking the film's progress and blogging updates over the coming months!