We shocked the world with Lone Star Clash 1, an entirely student-run production featuring incredible production value, thrilling storylines, and just enough Texan charm. Motivated by the tremendous outpouring of community support, we came together and worked hard to bring the world Lone Star Clash 2, an even higher impact sequel. Luckily, we aren't quite satisfied...
TeSPA at UT Austin is excited to partner with WellPlayed Productions! Combining TeSPA's live event experience with WellPlayed's amazing production, we plan to bring everyone the best Lone Star Clash yet.
Live from May 3rd-4th, these two great games will grace the North Austin Events Center in Austin, Texas!
Four of the best North American Challenger teams will compete for a $15,000 prize pool! Curse Academy and Team LolPro will be holding their own showmatch to determine which of Curse's amateur teams will attend Lone Star Clash 3. The games will be cast by SaintVicious and Liquid112. The 3 remaining teams will be announced soon.
Update 1: Crs Academy wins the showmatch making them the first announced team!
The Final 4 of IvyLoL’s Season 3 will finish their season in grand fashion at Lone Star Clash 3. Texas A&M, University of British Columbia, University of Connecticut, and returning champion University of California at Irvine have proven themselves as the best of more than 184 colleges in this season of IvyLoL, and will have the opportunity to go head to head live at Lone Star Clash 3.
A total of 16 world class players will be playing: 11 Invited, 1 from a Collegiate Qualifier, and the remaining 4 from an Open Qualifier. Having 4 Open spots allows us to award WCS points in conjunction with our LAN atmosphere and $15,000 prize pool. Our first invitee is Polt. More players will be announced soon.
Update 1: A new cowboy strolls into the Lone Star Clash 3 Lineup: the Tyrant!
If you want to attend the event in person, be sure to pre-purchase your tickets!
- $20 - Early Bird Special (TeSPA Member)
- $25 - Early Bird Special (non-TeSPA Member)
- $150 - Early Bird VIP (Limited to 75 tickets)
VIP benefits include:
- Front row seating
- Commerorative LSC3 poster
- Limited edition tournament t-shirt
- VIP-only raffle ticket
- Access to private player lounge events
WellPlayed has been developing ways to provide more detailed game stats for both SC2 and LoL. Lone Star Clash 3 is our chance to finish and polish this amazing technology. Development of these features will let us not just show new stats on stream, but let our backers view stats live in a web browser.
Show swings and comebacks with the gold difference over the course of the game. Compare the gold difference of both teams, or pick two specific players to compare.
Gold doesn’t mean much if you don’t spend it. This handy tug-of-war bar helps give an idea which team is stronger by totaling up the cost of all their items, excluding consumables such as potions and wards.
See detailed stats about each champion, and learn exactly how the players are building.
With StarCraft 2 we have many options of stats to show over time. The graphs show the difference in the stat between the two players, so you can see how the matches swing back and forth. Example stats:
- Total supply
- Mineral income
- Gas income
- Army supply
- Average APM
If you have a suggestion let us know!
These graphs become even more informative when we add the completion of certain milestones, such as new expansions or upgrades.
Have a great idea for a stat you want to see? You can help us decide which new features to add.
There’s an enormous amount of costs that go into a live event. We’ve tried our hardest to minimize the unnecessary, but are unfortunately having trouble finding all the funding. We plan to create one of the best produced, top-tier esports events in North America, but need a little help to get it done.
To be clear, this money is NOT going to the following:
- Prize Pool.
- Staff costs. Most of TeSPA is either local, or a car ride away. WellPlayed’s costs are already being covered by IvyLoL and personal funds.
- Host and Caster costs.
To be entirely transparent, here’s what the money IS going to, in order from highest to lowest priority:
- Venue Costs The NAEC is actually cheaper than many of the alternatives we found, but the cost is still sizable.
- Equipment We need to worry about providing available computers for many of the players there (40 LoL Players and 16 SC2 players) in addition to what we need for production. Many of these are already covered by some of our Sponsors, but we need a handful more to be safe.
- Player Travel and Accommodation We’re currently offering housing and minimal stipends for our invited players, but being able to help even more with their travel can help guarantee high quality players.
- Production Improvements We’re already well into working on new, innovative production wizardry, but some of our current solutions are inconsistent. By adding backups and redundancies, we can continue our fantastic production even if one system starts giving bad data, or has an issue with the connection.
We have selected a collection of rewards for our backers meant to appeal to a variety of interests. Whether you are a casual stream viewer, a dedicated fan, or a sponsor looking to send a message, our tiered prizes enhance your engagement to the content on stream.
- Backer Tier - $1. For just a dollar, you get a behind-the-scenes look on our progress as we build the venue and prep for the event
- Nerd Baller Tier - $5. Go deeper into stats with your own private window live, while the games are being played!
Fonzie Tier - $10. See your name in the credits once the stream is over! Plus, if you ask "Am I cool?" in Twitch chat, our bot will inform you just how cool you are. And all previous tiers.
Soapbox Tier - $25. Access to a private "Backers Only" chat. Just say "!shoutbox <message>" in Twitch to update your message. These will be moderated, and have a character limit. And all previous tiers.
Stylish Tier - $50. Your very own Lone Star Clash 3 T-shirt. And all previous tiers.
LoL Collection Tier - $90. A Lone Star Clash 3 poster, signed by the League of Legends players and casters! All $50 tier and below rewards.
SC2 Collection Tier - $90. A Lone Star Clash 3 poster, signed by the StarCraft II players and casters. All $50 tier and below rewards.
Fanboy Tier - $100. An exclusive dinner meet + greet with players, personalities, and staff. Your name in the stream credits updated to "VIP".
- Sponsor Tier - $1,000. One custom redirect URL or message to be promoted. One logo + redirect URL in the on-stream sponsor slideshow. One custom message with redirect URL to be promoted in Twitch chat. Max 100 characters.
Ultimate Fanboy Tier - $2,000. This is the big one. Paid hotel, flight (North America), stipend up to $750 (international), tour of Blizzard HQ, lunch with development team leads of your choice. Your title changed to "Executive Backer" in stream credits. And $100 tier and below rewards.
- Gold Sponsor Tier - $4,000. All benefits of previous sponsorship. Shoutouts from casters directing users to your redirect URL. One custom slide in the "Up Next" scene. One custom trigger message in Twitch chat.
- Diamond Sponsor Tier - $7,500. All benefits of previous sponsorship. We will play your video commercial on stream, which bypasses Ad-Block. Promote up to 3 URLS instead of 1. Increase custom slide count to 2. Increased Twitch chat trigger response messages to 3.
TeSPA was founded as a student organization at The University of Texas at Austin in 2010. The student group gained acclaim for its high-caliber productions that often eclipsed similar professionally-produced events in terms of viewership and community fervor with modest budgets and passionate volunteers. In 2012, the group hosted two unprecedented tournaments which elevated them to the global stage: Lone Star Clash 1 and 2. In October 2013, TeSPA rebranded and expanded its scope with the goal of empowering college gaming groups across the globe to build thriving communities and host epic events by providing tangible support needed to grow. TeSPA now has 40 chapters across North America and is aims for 75 by the end of 2014.
WellPlayed Productions has existed as an esports production group since 2011. Originally made up of /r/starcraft members who ran reddit tournaments, the group eventually set out on their own to become an independent team of tournament organizers and producers. In StarCraft 2, WellPlayed’s best known works are IPL1 and more recently, the (Twitch) Ender’s Game Tournament and Ender’s Game Showmatch. In League of Legends, WellPlayed produced the CLG Premier Series, the PAX and GamesCom Spring Promotional Online Qualifiers, the NA Spring Promotion Qualifiers, and the NA Spring Promotion Tournament Group Stage.
TeSPA + WP: Two Great Tastes That ESPORT Great Together
It makes enormous sense for our two organizations to work together for Lone Star Clash 3. WellPlayed can benefit hugely from TeSPA’s previous live event experience- something sorely lacking in North America, outside of Fighting Games. TeSPA, on the other hand, will benefit from WellPlayed’s abilities to consistently push and improve production in esports.