Each year the United Nation’s Commission on Status of Women meets. This year, the 57th Session, the focus will be upon the global issue of Violence Against Women and Children.
The purpose of this Indiegogo Campaign is to help support my trip to and from New York City, NY, in my role as a delegate at the United Nations’ 57th Session of the Commission on Status of Women and Children for 3 weeks in March 2013 – including airfare, hotel, and mobility aid rental.
It is important that I be there to help share my voice due to my personal journey and experience as a victim/survivor of domestic violence, as well as a culmination of all my experiences advocating for the best interests of children and women in a variety of capacities:
- CASA Advocate (4-5 years) – Austin, TX
- Guardian Ad Litem (1 year in Austin TX & 2 years in Charleston County, SC)
- Paralegal in Family Law Practices
- Victim Advocate & Sexual Assault Volunteer (6 years) – Cedar Park, TX
- Shelter Advocate (2 years) – Round Rock, TX
- Hotline Advocate (6 years) – Austin, TX
- Creator and Founder of Domestic Violence Voices (3 years)– Austin, TX
- Advisory Board Member of Survive2Thrive Foundation (1 year) – Austin, TX
- Radio Show Host of Beyond Words Live (2 years) – Austin, TX
- Partner with National Domestic Violence Survivor Law Project (1 year) – Austin, TX
- Co-chair of Texas Survivor’s Caucus (member for 6+ years) – Austin, TX
I will be one of 72 delegates going to the 57th Session of the United Nation’s Commission on Status of Women in March 2013 (“CSW”) through the Presbyterian Church USA organization. It is a true honor and an opportunity of a lifetime for me to take my advocacy to a new level.
Participation in the CSW provides the opportunity to advocate with this global policy-making body where representatives of the UN Member States gather to “evaluate progress on gender equality, identify challenges, set global standards, and formulate concrete policies to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment worldwide.”
The purpose of this campaign is to raise the necessary funds to “Get me to the United Nations on Time!”. I know that I should be there, but I have been unemployed since January 2012, largely due to the lack of contributing funds to domestic violence programs, which is further amplified by the Violence Against Women Act of 2012 not yet being reauthorized.
Other ways you can help.
If a financial contribution isn't possible for you right now, you can still help. We welcome all the assistance we can get just spreading the word. You can email friends, post to Facebook, Twitter and any other social networks you use.......whatever you feel is appropriate to do. Indiegogo has some great share tools that make it easy.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!