February 21, 2015: The Official Lazer Team Teaser has been released to the public.
July 5, 2014: We just added an update! We are within $100,000 of the record! Check the Update tab for more info.
Rooster Teeth needs your help to make a feature!
The lovable and undeniably good looking team from Rooster Teeth Productions is making their first ever feature length movie, Lazer Team. That's right, the online video sensations behind:
- Red vs Blue, the web's longest running series
- Achievement Hunter, a group of charismatic gaming scamps
- The RT Podcast, focusing on current events and accurate science
- RWBY, the world's newest anime sensation
are going bigger and better than ever before with their first full length theatrical production.
In the late 1970's, the Search For Extraterrestrial Intelligence project received a one time signal from outer space. It looked exactly as theorists thought a communication from an alien civilization would -- unfortunately it has never been decoded. Or so we were told. Unbeknownst to the general public the signal was translated and told us two things:
- We are not alone.
- The galaxy is a dangerous place.
We are ready to make this next big step, but we need your help to make it as big as we possibly can! Funds from Indiegogo will be used for:
- Bigger and better visual effects. Lazer Team is a science fiction movie. The sky is the limit on what we could do with post effects. Actually the sky isn't the limit, space is the limit. And space is infinite. But our perks only go up to $10,000.
- Cast and crew. In addition to the familiar faces of Rooster Teeth, we will be casting talent from all across the country and recruiting some great people for behind the camera as well. The more money we raise, the bigger the project becomes and the more talent we can attract. That's just math.
- Locations, locations, locations. With more money we can add better locations for our shoot days. Money will be used to haul all those cast, crew and the buckets of visual effects to exotic locales. Like the Nevada Desert. In August.
Here's a breakdown of the budget and their relative portion in Lazer Team:
We know. You've backed a crowd-funded project before and that was the last you heard of it. Plus producing movies is far more expensive than making web content, even the content that RT makes. So how do you know backing this project will actually lead to a finished product?
- We have always made the most of our resources and made some of the best quality content on the Internet over the past 11 years. We are going to do this on a bigger scale.
- We have the infrastructure to produce the content, the funds we are raising are for production and production quality. That means most of the dollars will end up on the screen, which is exactly where you want them.
- Rooster Teeth is uniquely qualified to move from web content to feature filmmaking. Over the course of the last decade we have grown into some of the biggest productions the internet has ever seen and we want you to be a part of this next step!
Once the campaign starts, we will begin behind the scenes perks right away. Here's a list of planned events during the campaign:
Wednesday June 11, 2014 -- First Supporter update goes out.
- Tuesday June 17, 2014 -- Conference call for all early BTS and up supporters in which we will cover pre-production including concept art and more detailed plot description. Spoiler alert.
- Saturday June 21, 2014 -- Special livestream from Rooster Teeth HQ to support the crowdfunding campaign.
- Sunday July 6, 2014 -- Special campaign wrap up at RTX 2014
And we will have new events and stretch goals announced as the campaign progresses.
We have tons of great Perks for our supporters. Most of these items and experiences have never been offered by Rooster Teeth before. For all the details, check the column on the right or look at our cheat sheet below for some of the basics.
We have added a Challenge Coin Perk. These coins are a highly collectible item. If you are not familiar with them, check out the Wikipedia article which tells you all about them. Our tune into the Lazer Team backer call when we show off an example of one. It's a very cool item and we are happy to be able to introduce it to the campaign. If you have already donated or want to add the Challenge Coin to a different package, just select the Standalone perk. The CC is not included with any other Perks, so grab it while you can!
Thanks for checking out our IndieGoGo campaign and thanks for supporting Lazer Team!
UPDATE: Thank you for all for taking us to a MILLION DOLLARS IN JUST TWO DAYS! And we broke the record for quickest funded film on the platform! We are now the #2 Film all time on IndieGoGo and we still have 27 days left in the campaign! Adding new stretch goals to the section at the bottom: Orchestral Score and Podcast Let's Plays! DRIVE TO A MILLION UPDATE: WE JUST ADDED THREE NEW PERKS INCLUDING A SIGNED POSTER PACKAGE, A VIRTUAL LAN PARTY AND A CHANCE TO BE IN RWBY! UPDATE: We hit our goal in ten hours! So, we have added a Stretch Goals section at the bottom of this section. Check it out for the latest Perks and additions!
Updated June 22, 2014
$1,875,000 Return of RT ShortsOur next RT stretch goal will be to produce a run of RT Shorts (six to eight) in the style of our old school Season One shorts. These will be shot in the office setting, run-and-gun style. No big effects, no huge budgets -- just pure Rooster Teeth antics.
$1,750,000 VFX Upgrade & FeaturetteWe will add a critical scene that will take a significantly higher Visual Effects budget to produce. We can't say much more, other than we are very excited about being able to make this. We will also produce and release a VFX Featurette showing how we made Lazer Team's effects!
$1,625,000 Pilot a TV & Film Podcast UNLOCKED!
The RT Broadcast team behind the RT Podcast and The Patch will produce a pilot for a podcast focusing on TV & Film discussions.
INTERNATIONAL PREMIERE UNLOCKED!
Lazer Team will hold a theatrical screening in the (non US) country that has contributed the most amount by the end of the campaign! City and date to be scheduled after the end of the campaign.
ORCHESTRAL SCORE UNLOCKED!
Lazer Team gets an orchestral score! Special perk to ATTEND RECORDING OF THE SCORE unlocks!
$1,250,000: PODCAST LET'S PLAYS UNLOCKED!
The podcast crew will produce one month of weekly Podcast Let's Plays. This will be publicly available on normal Rooster Teeth channels. Estimated delivery in July 2014.
Our $1,000,000 stretch goal is coming! UNLOCKED!
At that milestone, we will have two rewards. First, exclusive Lazer Team concept art will be added to all the Digital and higher supporters. And by popular demand, we will make an all new RT Stage 5 Office Tour video. We just need to find Burnie that jacket.
Let's hit a million!
$750,000 New Game Time Episodes UNLOCKED!
If we hit that goal, we will produce six (6) new episodes of the popular retired show Game Time for RoosterTeeth.com and our Let's Play channel. This run of Game Time will feature people working on (or around) Lazer Team.
$650,000 Hit The Goal Bonus UNLOCKED!
Amazing! We hit our goal in just ten hours after we started the campaign! The show of support in the first day has been so incredible and the first day isn't even over yet! In celebration we will be adding a digital PDF of the shooting script to all the digital downloads of the movie for everyone who has contributed at those levels. Thank you so much everyone!