Who Are You & What Is landscape / heartbreak?
Hello! I'm Michelle Peñaloza and I am a poet living in Seattle. You can learn more about me and read some of my poems here.
landscape / heartbreak is my literary and cartographic project.
I'm asking people to take me on walks from the Hugo House to places in Seattle where they've had their hearts broken (I take "heartbreak" to extend beyond romantic heartbreak to trauma of any kind that my volunteers are willing to share). I’m recording the audio of these walks and writing poems based on these conversations to create a chapbook of poems and maps, which will result in a literary cartography of heartbreak in Seattle.
landscape / heartbreak takes up the project of discovering a city by way of its people’s stories and exploring the interplay between the emotional and physical landscapes of a specific place. I begin the walks from Seattle's Hugo House to focus the project in a meaningful way by linking all of the walks to this physical landmark of Seattle's literary history and present.
This project is a priority for me now because of the richness of opportunity for healing—for myself, for the participants, and for the larger audience the project will reach if this campaign succeeds. I believe landscape / heartbreak will speak to a wide audience and, hopefully, spark conversation, empathy, and catharsis in Seattle and beyond.
What I Need & What You GetYour contribution to landscape / heartbreak will fund essential aspects of the project:
- Transportation: the cab / Car 2 Go rides / gas money post-walks to get my volunteers home (some of these walks are pretty far!)
- Recording and Editing Equipment
- Printing (of maps and cool swag!)
- Illustration, Mapping, and other Artwork
- Time: for walking, editing the recordings, and, of course, writing and revising the poems.
I need $3000 dollars to fund the continuation and completion of this project.
You can help me raise it! And look at all the cool swag you’ll get!
Other Ways You Can Help
- If you can't contribute monetarily (I know, ya'll. I'm a poet. I'm a teacher.), you can help by getting the word out about landscape / heartbreak. Please share the link to this page or to my website. Like landscape / heartbreak on Facebook! Tweet! Help me spread the word throughout Seattle and beyond.
- If you're a letterpress or printing maven or master who believes in my project and are interested in contributing discounted or in-kind printing--please contact me!
- If you have a specific place in Seattle you can name as a place of heartbreak, send me a query. I still have some walking to do.
I teach part-time at a community college and work part-time for human services non-profit; I strive to protect some number of hours a week dedicated to the creation of art. The success of this campaign will determine the ways in which I can devote time, attention, effort, and resources to landscape / heartbreak.