Welcome to Kite™ Patch
THANK YOU! ieCrowd's Kite Patch campaign achieved 743% of its goal - and we are thankful for each of the 11,254 backers who supported us. We are moving quickly into implementation!
Shipping Status: On Time. No changes to the schedule anticipated at this time. Perks will be shipping 6-8 weeks after the close of the campaign. Kite Patches will be shipped after U.S. EPA approval.
Press: Please click here for ieCrowd's press center for assistance with stories, quotes, images, etc.
Supporters: Learn more about how Kite Patch rose to the #1 most popular campaign on Indiegogo for four of the six-week campaign. Articles, blogs, social, and updates can be found here.
Collaborators/Distributors: Click here to learn about how to partner with us for global distribution.
Have additional questions? Check out our growing FAQ section that covers everything from "when will it ship?" to "does it work? We update often with questions we get in. THANK YOU!)
Reserve and Share the World's Newest Weapon Against Mosquitoes and Mosquito-Borne Diseases
Kite Patch is a small, powerful patch that allows humans to go virtually undetected by mosquitoes for up to a day's worth of protection. We need your help to share Kite Patches with others - particularly those in regions impacted by malaria. You can reserve yours and send Kite Patches to Africa!
We set out to re-engineer how to protect humans from mosquitoes. The result was Kite. Kite Patch is the world’s first product containing our breakthrough scientific discovery proven to disrupt the mosquito’s ability to track humans.
The Kite Patch compounds act as a non-topical, spatial repellent, blocking mosquitoes’ ability to detect carbon dioxide – their primary method of tracking human blood meals.
We're building Kite Patch to protect humans in a small, lightweight, durable, and effective patch, in a wide range of conditions in which humans find themselves in contact with mosquitoes.
**** NOTE: This is a year-long project - and we need your help to build the first run of Kite Patches, test it in Uganda, and then optimize it for production for global distribution. Our U.S. backers will be the first to receive Kite Patches after we gain U.S. EPA approval. Of course, we cannot control how long the EPA will take to finalize our registration, but we're hoping no more than 12 months.
Kite Patch's Big Mission
We need your help to create the first batch of Kite Patches to be tested in one of the toughest proving grounds there is - Uganda.
With your help, large-scale testing in Uganda will simultaneously provide over 1,000,000 hours of protection during a large field test for families who are suffering from malaria infection rates of over 60% and allow us to optimize the Kite Patch before we begin scaling for global distribution.
The results of the field test? The results will help us finalize the formulation and any last product design changes. Once the formulation is finalized we can begin the EPA registration process for the US. Once we have approval in the US, we will be capable of scaling the product for widespread and market-sensitive distribution – especially for those where mosquitoes mean life or death.
Our Campaign Goal
We were seeking to raise $75,000 at the beginning of this campaign, which will help send approximately 20,000 Kite Patches to Pilgrim Africa in Uganda for the field test, and also send our U.S. backers really cool Kite Patch gear and the first, special edition, EPA-registered Kite Patches once the Kite Patches are completed.
With an outpouring of support, we blasted through that goal in less than five days. We became the #1 most popular campaign on Indieogogo for now, and we've received almost 3,000 backers.
STRETCH GOALS: Now we're working hard to reach new stretch goals. As we grow beyond our initial target, we will have the ability to expand the field test, improve the quality of product development and manufacturing, and help advance the entire project as a whole.
Planned Features of Kite Patch:
- Beautiful, simple, colorful design - show everyone you're part of a global movement to combat malaria and other mosquito-borne diseases.
- Breakthrough science - makes you and your family practically invisible to mosquitoes.
- Up to a day's worth of protection, everywhere - no matter where you are in the world, and no matter what type of adventure you're on, Kite Patch can provide breakthrough protection against mosquitoes.
- Affordable here...and there. We're building Kite Patches to provide affordable, superior protection at affordable costs - in the U.S. or in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Small Sticker with Big Impact - allows you to stick it on anywhere on your clothing, backpack, strollers, bikes, baby slings, Kevlar vests, or other gear you choose to use.
Kite Patch's Story = Science + Passion + Love for Adventure
Kite Patch is being designed to replace age-old, cumbersome, and potentially unhealthy mosquito repellents with an easy-to-use, powerful, and long-lasting sticker applied to clothing. Kite Patch is being designed to protect individuals throughout an individual’s normal daily activities within a 24-hour cycle.
Kite technology stems from scientific developments initially developed at the University of California, Riverside (UCR) with assistance from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the National Institutes of Health. Our company exclusively licensed the technology from UCR, and has, since then, furthered the science, developed its own IP and patent applications, and developed a range of disruptive products.
Our company’s work on the Kite Patch technology platform – including additional patent-pending applications we’ve filed – is currently benefiting from an additional NIH grant, collaborative testing agreements with the U.S. Army’s Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, the USDA, and other organizations via grants and collaborative agreements.
We acquired the worldwide, exclusive rights to the intellectual property, developed the technology, and are now creating a product beneficial to people around the world.
We’ve received grants for our work, and we built our own 11,000 square foot mosquito research laboratory that enables our scientists to test a large range of conceivable climates in the development of Kite Patch's technology.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
We've provided a catalog of potential questions you may have. Click here to visit our website in a new browser and preview the FAQs.
The most popular questions:
1. "I love Kite Patch! Is it ready for purchase right now? Please?" Soon, but not yet. This campaign will help us produce the first run of Kite Patches, which will then be tested in malaria-impacted regions of Uganda. Backers will receive their Kite Patches as part of the first full production of Kite Patches after we obtain U.S. EPA approval. We're estimating that this is between 10 and 14 months total.
2. "How much will Kite Patch cost?" We will know final costs to produce Kite Patches after we optimize the Kite Patch with results from the field test in Uganda and begin manufacturing plans for scale. We then will begin preparing Kite Patches for price points in each specific market, focused particularly on making it affordable in developing economies and regions impacted most by mosquito-borne diseases.
3. "Can I be an exclusive distributor of Kite Patch in my state/country?" We're going to be posting a call for proposals later in August. If you're interested in opportunities to distribute or otherwise do business with our company, that is the place to start.
RISKS AND POLICIES
We appreciate you joining us in our effort to produce the world's first patch that contains breakthrough compounds that make humans virtually invisible to mosquitoes. Your contribution is helping in the development of this product.
Here are the top five things we want you to know relating to your contribution and our work:
1. Our work, by its nature, is risky and early stage. Our science has been supported by amazing organizations and our top-tier team of scientists. HOWEVER, because this is new technology and a new approach, we cannot guarantee that it will work 100%.
2. Delays may occur. Our work is scientific in nature and groundbreaking. We would love to say exactly what date your Kite Patch perks will ship, but the truth is, both scientific and product development, not to mention regulatory requirements, are driven by variables that are often beyond our control.
3. Kite Patch technology is derived from patent-pending formulations that utilize breakthrough compounds found in food flavors and fragrances. We're working hard to make Kite Patch a superior alternative to methods that contain ingredients known to regulatory bodies as harmful or toxic to humans, animals, or the environment.
4. Regulatory climates in various countries differ. We cannot control, expedite, or change many of the rules and regulations that will govern how quickly Kite Patch will get to markets (including those considered perks). We've made it very clear that we are working as fast as we can to obtain approvals, but we want everyone to know that this is a large variable we cannot control.
5. Finally, please click here to read Indiegogo's refund policy.
Original Press Coverage
See above for the over 300 articles and blogs about the Kite Patch. Below are sources that covered the early technology discoveries inspiring Kite Patch's compounds.
JOIN OUR CAUSE & BE A PART OF KITE PATCH'S WORLDWIDE MOVEMENT!