Kinetic Parkour will be a brand new parkour and freerunning training facility located in Salt Lake City, Utah. We are running this campaign to raise funds for a cash injection on a small business loan, which will then be used to purchase space, equipment, and obstacles.
Kinetic Parkour is a team of three people: Richard Coleman (Director), Marisha Parker (Graphic Designer), and Jason Cox (Photographer). Combined, the three of us have noticed a significant need in the Wasatch Front to have a dedicated space where parkour practitioners can come to work out, learn, and train. With your help, we can build a 7,500-square-foot facility dedicated specifically to parkour and freerunning, where the passionate and the curious alike can come to learn and grow.
Our goal is set at $8,000. After Indiegogo's fees and PayPal/credit card fees, we'll have roughly $7,000 left over for the gym. We will then quite literally take that money to the bank, prove to them how many people actually want this business started by showing off how many memberships we've sold before we even open, and within a few weeks we should have the money we need to get going on the gym. We should have a location selected and ready to lease by early May, have our building permit and business license in hand by late May, and be open for business in June!
If we do not reach our full campaign goal, don't worry; the gym will still open and you'll still get your perks! However, depending on how much money we still need, the gym will have to open later than June. If, for some unforeseen reason, the gym is unable to open by December 31, everyone who donated money will be refunded.
But enough about us. Let's talk about you! After all, that's why we're here; we want a parkour gym open so people like you will have a safe, legal space to train that's sheltered from the elements and has an emergency system in place in case something goes wrong. So, in exchange for supporting us while we get started up, we have a dozen perks that you can choose from! They're listed in greater detail on the right side of the screen, but the basic idea is that you can get awesome Kinetic merchandise like t-shirts and tank tops, HUGE discounts on memberships that we will never be able to offer again, and even some cool stuff like locker rentals and your name as a sponsor on our equipment. If you're feeling particularly rich, we've rolled all the available perks into one package way down at the bottom, with a few added bonuses!
Women's Tank Tops:
Men's Tank Tops:
Daily, Monthly, and Annual Passes:
Unlimited Drinks for a Year, Your Name on Our Equipment, and Reserved Lockers:
To select a perk, simply click on it and you'll be taken to a payment screen. There are a few things you should know about each perk:
- T-Shirts/Tank Tops: We need your shirt size. How to get that to us is explained below. If you have a perk that contains multiple shirts, you can choose between t-shirts and tank tops; just let us know.
- Memberships/Day Passes: The coupon that you will redeem for your membership time will be emailed to you at the email address used for your IndieGoGo account.
- Other Perks: If you did not get a membership or shirt, we will still email you to confirm details we need for the perk.
Be sure to add "firstname.lastname@example.org" to your address book so that any email we send stays out of the spam box!
How to Tell Us Your Shirt Size/How Many Shirts vs. Tank Tops You Want
After you complete payment, you'll be taken to a screen where you can share the campaign with your friends. A little ways down on the right side of the screen is a comment box (pictured below).
1) Fill out the comment box with your shirt size/how many shirts and tank tops you want with your perk. If you want the shirt shipped to you (and added $6.00 to the price of the perk), this is where you can fill in your shipping information. If you have multiple shirts in your order, you can specify what sizes you would like them; otherwise, we will default to a "Large" on all shirts other than your own.
2) Check the box that says "keep private."
3) Click the "Add Comment" box.
4) You're done! We now have your t-shirt size and all the info we need to get things going.
Kinetic Parkour was started with one goal in mind: To provide a safe, fun, affordable environment where anyone with a desire to learn can come train in parkour or freerunning. Your donation will help make that a reality!
The fact of the matter is, six months out of the year, Utah is not a safe place to learn parkour. There's ice and snow everywhere, and winter injury rates are very high. Gymnastic gyms offer token parkour and freerunning classes, but only on specific nights, and only for an hour or two at a time. In addition, there are virtually no places outdoors that allow practitioners to train on their property, as liability concerns and lawsuits have made property owners wary of anyone using their land in a way it was not intended for.
So here are the three current options for parkour enthusiasts (traceurs):
1) Train outside. This is not always safe and can open traceurs up to run-ins with law enforcement, even on public property such as parks.
2) Train in a gymnastic gym. This can get costly, and gymnastic gyms can have strict age restrictions prohibiting some people from using their equipment at all. Most gymnastic gyms simply are not equipped for parkour training.
3) Train indoors. There are few places with enough space to train in parkour, and fewer still who are actually okay with their property being used in this manner.
We want to add a fourth option: Train at Kinetic Parkour. Built by traceurs, for traceurs, with all liability concerns and safety hazards already accounted for. No need to worry about snow and ice, no strange age restrictions, and definitely no police coming around every thirty minutes to tell you to get down off of things. Sounds like heaven, right?
We think so, too.
If we hit our campaign goal of $8,000, we will be able to build a training facility with the following amenities:
- 7,500 square feet of pure parkour joy. A 20-25 foot ceiling height will add a third dimension to your training.
- A location accessible to the general public, within five miles of Downtown Salt Lake City.
- A snack bar selling electrolyte drinks, energy bars, and protein shakes.
- A work-out area with free weights, a treadmill, an elliptical, and an all-in-one exercise machine.
- A mezzanine area with a couch so you can sit back and relax once in a while.
- Electronic Admission System: Scan your Kinetic keychain barcode and you're in; no waiting-in-line-for-admission hassles.
- Daily and Monthly Passes, so you can come in once a month or every single day, depending on your budget, and stay as long as you like.
- A bars and pipes course for practicing rail skills.
- Over a dozen plywood obstacles stretching as tall as 15 feet.
- Precision jump training bars.
- Balance training bars.
- Several heights of vault boxes.
- A modular fence system where you can physically remove the fence from the ground and replace it with another one. This gives you the ability to practice on different types of fences without having to leave the gym.
- Movable gymnastic mats so you can place one under you to catch your fall if you're not sure you can make a certain jump.
- Open gym at all times. Unlike other gyms that only offer a maximum two hours of open gym per day, we'll be open six to eight hours a day and will allow open gym for the whole duration.
- Classes taught by local traceurs and freerunners, many of whom have trained with the founders of parkour.
Not bad for a measly $8,000! If we surpass our campaign goal, we will be able to purchase additional amenities to make your stay at Kinetic that much better.
If we reach:
This will be enough to purchase everything listed above, and add a 1000 square foot area of spring gymnastic floor, so you can practice those tricky moves without fear of hitting something hard on your way down.
We will be able to add on to the gymnastic floor by adding a 200 square foot area for a foam pit, to make learning techniques that much easier.
Kinetic Parkour will be able to hire additional employees to make sure the gym is open seven days per week.
A hardwood floor with plenty of mirrors for those of you into break-dancing or martial arts. With this addition, we will also be able to start holding more diverse classes.
A Kinetic Parkour truck so that we can pack up our movable obstacles and do promotions for Team Kinetic on the road, allowing us to pick up sponsorships and advertising opportunities.
We will be able to add a video editing station for Kinetic Parkour members to use, and Go-Pro camera and helmetcam rentals so you can film your runs in first and third person.
We will be able to add on to our plywood and cement obstacles, making them bigger and taller to match your progression in the art of parkour.
...You get the idea! The point is, the more money we raise now, the more capital we have to put into making Kinetic Parkour not only Utah's parkour hotspot, but the world's coolest parkour and freerunning training facility.
Sometimes, you're just not in a position to help out with money. That's totally fine! You can still help Kinetic get off the ground by sharing our campaign with anyone you know who might be interested. The "Share Tools" are located just under the video at the top of this page; click on them and help get the word out about our campaign! We're a local business, meaning that we have to reach as many people in Salt Lake City as possible in order for our campaign to be successful. It'll take a few seconds, but you'll rack up major cool points with us!
If nothing else, simply refer one friend to our page so that our campaign keeps going; after all, parkour is all about momentum and we could use all we can get!
If you haven't already, right below are links to our Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Youtube, as well as our website where you can sign up for our newsletter. You can Like, Follow, and Subscribe to keep up to date on the gym's progress and to make it crazy easy to share our updates with everyone.
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to read this and help out. We look forward to seeing you run with us at Kinetic when we open!