KIDS ARE WRITERS is a global, online community designed to offer FREE education, inspiration, and support to writers, ages 8-18.
- KIDS ARE WRITERS launched on March 1, 2014.
- Within five months, KIDS ARE WRITERS received over 21,000 visits.
- Visitors represent every state in the USA and 79 countries.
- KIDS ARE WRITERS is most popular in the US, Australia, Canada, Honduras, Germany, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Philippines, South Africa, and France.
- Children and adults benefit from KIDS ARE WRITERS. Established authors, budding authors, teachers, and homeschooling parents utilize the site to practice their writing skills and supplement their instruction.
- Twelve writing coaches volunteer their time and expertise to the site.
- The site is managed and funded by founder, Michelle Lynn Senters. She serves as the director and lead writing coach.
- Michelle conducted several Skype teaching sessions in US and Honduras classrooms. We are already booking teaching sessions, workshops, and personal coaching sessions for the 2014-2015 school year.
- KIDS ARE WRITERS launched its first annual, FREE Summer Camp to an overwhelming response. Children from around the world participate in daily writing prompts and instruction.
In the coming year, KIDS ARE WRITERS intends to GROW!
We want to:
- increase active membership to 1,000 young writers around the world.
- increase a sense of community by communicating in the comment section of each article.
- frequently publish student work on our site.
- develop a strong foundation of articles and activities for use by students, teachers, and homeschool parents.
- offer a small stipend to coaches who contribute their time and expertise.
- dedicate ourselves to continued professional development, particularly in the area of brain research as it relates to writing and creativity.
- offer activities and weekly writing prompts that are on the cutting edge of creativity and innovation.
- post inspirational videos and articles by established authors, playwrights, screenwriters, lyricists, poets, children's authors, etc.
- offer one-on-one coaching sessions, classroom visits, and workshops.
- offer writing instruction around the world via Skype.
- develop a small, but technologically adequate studio to film instructional videos of professional quality.
- determine future course of KIDS ARE WRITERS, ie. LLC or Non-Profit Organization.
- conduct several writing contests throughout the year.
- host our first annual KIDS ARE WRITERS regional conference in the summer of 2015.
- Visit www.kidsarewriters.com.
CONTRIBUTE today and inspire the literary voices of tomorrow.
- Help spread the news about KIDS ARE WRITERS and our Indiegogo Campaign via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and other social media sites.
All perks are designed to further the mission and increase exposure of KIDS ARE WRITERS. We are dedicated to providing the best writing instruction available AT NO COST TO CHILDREN. The only way we can do that is with your help. Please consider making a generous donation today.
If we reach our goal, we will develop stretch goals to further the mission of providing free writing instruction to children around the world.
If you have any questions about KIDS ARE WRITERS, the perks, or any part of the campaign, feel free to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
KIDS ARE WRITERS just concluded its first annual summer camp. Participants from all over the world (both young and old) received sound instruction, engaging activities, and hands-on support. In keeping with its mission, KIDS ARE WRITERS Summer Camp offered this camp AT NO CHARGE. It's not too late to sign-up because writers can work at their own pace. Click here for more information.
Can I contact you personally?
Yes. Our email address is email@example.com.
How will we set up personal coaching, workshops, or conference perks?
After the Indiegogo campaign is completed, we will make an initial contact through email. After filling out the required paperwork, a signed contract will be sent to you.
Is your instruction conducive to Common Core State Standards?
Yes, but the method of instruction differs greatly from the classroom. Our instructional methods are highly creative and assessment free.
Can adults benefit from KIDS ARE WRITERS?
Yes! We have reports of many adults using our prompts and activities for guided writing practice. In fact, many adults have signed up to participate in our summer camp going on now. Teachers and homeschool parents are also using our site to supplement their curriculum.
I would like to sponsor a classroom or a student for instruction, but don't know who to suggest.
If you do not know which school or child to sponsor, KIDS ARE WRITERS can choose for you and offer a scholarship in your name. We have a long list of students and schools interested in private coaching and instruction.
Is the KIDS ARE WRITERS website safe for my child?
While it is impossible to vet every member of the community, we take careful precautions to keep every child safe. Students are not allowed to post pictures or identifying information online. All comments made on our website and Facebook page are screened.
"Ms. Senters visited the Ditto Elementary First Graders in Arlington, TX via Google Hangout on May 27. Right from the start, she had the kids' attention, and held it throughout with age-appropriate ideas for adventurous summer writing. Ms. Senters drew upon the idea that writing is a choice and must be done in a way that draws upon interests. From costumed writing to secret detective observations, Ms. Senters held the hearts of our kids. Our students walked away knowing that writing takes practice, even for an author. They were motivated to write and set themselves up for summer writing success by customizing Summer Writing Notebooks. Thank you, Ms. Senters, for touching the lives of our children." -Carrie Brown, 1st Grade Teacher/Children's Writer, Ditto Elementary in Arlington, Texas
"I am a mom of 4 children ages ranging from 5-13. I have been homeschooling them for 4 years. My oldest has been identified as gifted and talented. I love the Kids are Writers website because it gives my kids opportunities to use their creative side to write, not just the basic school method they are taught to use. It is a great resource for topic ideas and techniques. Writing is a very important skill to have in all roles of our lives. Thanks, Michelle, for empowering children everywhere to bring out their creative thoughts through writing! "-Kate K.
"KIDS ARE WRITERS is a fantastic resource. I'm homeschooling my 3 gifted kids so that they can learn as fast as they want to learn. The writing prompts on KIDS ARE WRITERS challenge them to think and write creatively. We love how easily we can search the site for different engaging writing exercises. I firmly believe that every person has a unique story that only they can tell. KIDS ARE WRITERS helps my children find their stories...and write."
- Kirsti Call
"Thank you Michelle for the Skype visit to our fourth grade classroom in San Pedro Sula, Honduras today! We knew it would be a wonderful time, but you just made my kids blow away with the whole experience. That spontaneous surprise of having some snow for them to experience through the lens was just awesome! After the interview, they couldn’t stop talking about the beautiful time and the contest you created for them! My fourth graders deeply believe they are all famous and that is just because of you. I highly recommend Kids are Writers!" -Joanna Mojica, Escuela Bilingue Santa Maria Del Valle in San Pedro, Honduras, Central America
Check out our Gallery and Update section at the top of the page. There, you will see the source of our inspiration.