It's awesome that the campaign succeded!
I owe big thanks to:
- Generous backers who believed in the project
- All the fans who helped spreading the word about the campaign
- Marcin Brzozowski and Krzysztof Łoza from spotmusic.pl
- All my friends who contributed even though they wouldn't play the game :-)
- My former colleagues from Google Kraków
A sandbox dungeon builder with roguelike mechanics.
What is KeeperRL?
KeeperRL is an opensource dungeon simulation game inspired by Dungeon Keeper and Dwarf Fortress. You are an evil wizard seeking the ultimate knowledge of destruction. You can control your minions, and explore and conquer the world in a roguelike fashion. Combat is turn-based and very tactical. The whole world is procedurally generated.
What's already done?
KeeperRL is already playable. This is an alpha version, so it has an unfinished feel and a few bugs.
Main features already implemented:
- Digging and building a dungeon with 11 room types.
- 15 types of creatures available as minions.
- 4 races of enemies that dwell in villages or underground. Lure them to your dungeon or slaughter inside their homes.
- Full combat mechanics.
- Many items including armor, weapons, scrolls, potions, etc.
- Adventure mode.
- Two music tracks by awesome Polish composers (http://spotmusic.pl)
Why support it?
I started developing KeeperRL as a hobby, and released it for free. But making the game commercial will let me create something much bigger. I'd like to work on it full-time till December 2014, and deliver the core functionality that I planned for the 1.0 version (see below for details).
Ideally, I'd like to work on it for much longer. I believe I can turn it into a big, complex, and very original game, if I have the support. The game will stay opensource!
What's the plan?
Here is what I'm planning for the 1.0 version (December 2014).
- Big, persistent map (about 10 times bigger than now, area-wise), where you can build as many dungeons and play as many adventurers as you like. All the previous Keepers, if they are still alive, are now your enemies.
In-game exchange of maps through an online server. Let other players try to assault your dungeon with their army or an adventurer. Various statistics and a scoreboard of the most deadly dungeons.
Many special locations to explore. Go on quests, recruit more minions and find unique items to boost your black magic.
Much more content: special armor, weapons, items, special attacks, artifacts.
- Lot's of work put into balancing and fun gameplay. Big part of this will be listening to user feedback.
- Graphics and UI overhaul.
- Original soundtrack.
- Android port.
Stretch goal $6000 (January 2015)
Buildings: build defense walls, towers and even a whole castle. Everything destroyable, of course!
Stretch goal $8000 (May 2015)
A big underworld full of new content. Mine, explore, and ultimately conquer it.
The source code of KeeperRL is and will be available under the GPL 2 license. You can find it on Github. However, everything that comes with the game and is not found on Github is proprietary and can only be distributed as part of an official release. The game built from Github will work fine without the proprietary content, it will just default to ascii graphics.
Who is the author?
My name is Michał Brzozowski. I'm a software engineer. My previous employment was at Google in Kraków, Poland. In my career I've developed products from conception to release. I always loved playing and making games, and I now have the ambition to become an Indie game developer. I believe I have the motivation and skills to finish KeeperRL and make it a very good game.
My email: email@example.com