Casey Steinbacher, CEO of the Durham Chamber of Commerce said, “Intrepid is the kind of place that makes Durham, Durham. A cool reuse of space…an atmosphere of quiet contemplation one minute, and bustling collaboration the next….a cause wrapped up in a place. We can’t afford to lose it.”
Intrepid Life Coffee & Spirits has been featured on a.NPR: http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2012/09/05/veterans-entrepreneurs-charlotte
c. News and Observer: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/05/10/3847325/iraq-vets-touch-turns-durham-cafe.html d. Durham Magazine: http://www.durhammag.com/blogs/durham-magazine-blog/Matt-Victoriano-launches-Intrepid-Life-Coffee-and-Spirits-parrish-street/
After returning home from war as a Marine Scout/Sniper, I spent 10 years searching for a place to call home; where I could use my skills and experiences to make the world a better place. After finishing training at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, I decided to start Intrepid Life Coffee & Spirits with a mission to enrich, enlighten, and empower not only others, but myself as well.
I chose Durham because of its socio-economic diversity, its embrace of grit and determination mixed with intellect and compassion, and the community’s resolve to stand behind those who risk it all to follow their dreams.
While business was expanding rapidly during the spring, it stagnated to such a degree during the summer that my landlords have given me until September 7 to pay past rent or close the business.
I accepted my shortcomings and was in the process of wrapping things up when a tidal wave of support from patrons, community members, and business owners convinced me to look deeper, find solutions, and start a Kickstarter campaign to continue the work that I have dedicated to veterans and the Durham community.
Despite the hardships that I have encountered running my first business by myself, I have met, learned from, taught, and come to respect so many people with such diverse backgrounds and passions that I am inspired to continue the work I set out to do.
The only resources I had to open Intrepid were a lot credit card debt, a little family money, the skills and dedication I honed in the military, and an unbreakable will to do whatever it took to accomplish the mission. However, the skills, dedication, and will were not enough to create and run the business in the most efficient way possible.
That’s why I need you. Your contributions will enable me to do the following-
1) refine the bar and lighting, drawing in the evening crowd I had originally intended and that is
necessary to increase revenue.
2) install a streetside sign necessary to advertise to passing traffic.
3) hire a shop manager so that I can focus on the event planning necessary to create the Intrepid
community I had originally planned on and that is necessary to increase revenue.4) keep Intrepid open by paying past-due rent.
5) use owners specialized training and experience to launch and lead our weekly Intrepid events:
- Intrepid Training Group: fun, outdoor/indoor special operations group workouts that help you discover the inner beast followed by a social hour of food, drinks, and laughter. (Owner Matt Victoriano was in the top of his class physically during Marine Scout/Sniper School and had one of his workouts used in the Special Forces Qualification Course).
- Intrepid Running Group: a new twist on social running groups. Team-based relays integrated with getting to know your running mates, followed by a social hour of food, drinks, and laughter. (Owner Matt Victoriano has successfully completed two 100 mile races.)
- Intrepid Game Night: fun, team-based games integrating food, drinks, and laughter.
- Intrepid Trivia: a new twist on trivia, integrating our raw sense of military humor and practical knowledge that you can use in the real world.
- Intrepid Storytelling Group: TED-type talks and storytelling that highlight the innovative and intrepid acts that define Durham.(Owner Matt Victoriano has appeared in over 100 local and national radio, tv, and print media interviews.)
- Intrepid Self-Defense Training Group: practical techniques used in real life that enable any age, size, or gender to effectively protect themselves. (Owner Matt Victoriano has trained in special operations and civilian self-defense techniques.)