About the Project
Interview an Atheist at Church Day is a project created by Kile Jones, a Ph.D student at Claremont Lincoln University, an inter-religious school to train ministers. Kile is an atheist who is interested in helping liberal religious people work together with unbelieving communities for the betterment of society.
Interview an Atheist at Church Day is a community project aimed at bettering the understanding between atheists and religious persons. We hope to connect atheists who are willing to be interviewed with congregations in their area that are interested in developing ties with atheists in their area. The "day" represents our desire to grow into something far-reaching and beneficial to atheists and churchgoers alike.
As unbelieving populations around the world contion to rise, dialogue and understanding between atheists and people of faith is more important than ever. We live and work in the same world: understanding better what both unites and divides religious and non-religious people can only help us make this world a better place.
We hope that these interviews will benefit both believers and non-believers. Possible questions include:
- How does your atheism influence your day-to-day actions?
- Why don't you believe in God?
- How do you find meaning in an atheistic universe?
- Where do you think morality comes from?
- How can we find a way to work together?
Help us Get There!
In order to make this big, we need funds to help with advertising and promotion! Currently, we rely entirely on volunteers to reach out to churches and atheists and to spread the word. We hope develop a small pool of funds that we can use for promotion and advertising, and to employ a small staff to help with adminstrative and promotional tasks: from coordination and database creation to web design and social media promotion.
Ideally, we'd love to be able to establish a nationally recognized movement of atheists and Christians engaging with each other.
Other Ways You Can Help
We know you can't always give money, but if you're interested in helping out we'd love to hear from you!
- Are you an atheist who would be willing to be interviewed?
- Are you a minister who would be willing to host an atheist at their church?
- Can you take a minute to press "share" on facebook?
- Would you be willing to volunteer your time and skills to help us get the word out?
Let us know! Your contributions are greatly appreciated!