High hopes we have! If we can make these Goals:
$4,000- Will give us the funds to modify our brand new equipment and make it portable for our future tour.
$4,500- Enables us to purchase our own Aerial Fabric, carabiners, spansets, swivels, double-purchase pulley system (the ones we have currently are on loan).
$6,000- WE WILL BE ABLE TO BUILD our customized
cyr wheel!! It will be able to spin on the ground and withstand
being suspended in the air. This is something a standard wheel cannot do!
What is IMPulse?
- We are a six artists who have come together to collaborate on a body of work. Each of us brings different skills and experiences to the project, and together we are able to create images and movement in a way we cannot individually. We have created a show called IMPulse.
The IMP of the Perverse
- The inspiration for our show came from a short story by Edgar Allan Poe called, The Imp of the Perverse. It poetically exposed the concept that as human beings we are subject to urges and impulses on a daily basis, some of which we give into, others we do not. The Imp of the Perverse refers to the more depraved of our urges. While driving, musing over the how the flick of your wrist could send you merging into oncoming traffic. In a museum, a priceless vase stands precariously on a pedestal...it is so pushable. When you are atop a bridge, there is that thought, that wicked voice that reminds you how easy it would be to just...jump.
Most human beings will never act on these odd impulses, however our show indulges in the idea...what if they did? Impulse. It is human. It is raw. And we have created a piece of art that we hope will stimulate something in those who watch it.
We cannot do it alone...
- Many of our endeavors involve specialty equipment and uniquely designed rigging that will enable us to achieve certain acrobatic concepts. As exciting as these new concepts are, they cost money. Only through contributions from our supporters will we be able to bring these designs to the stage as vital pieces to our show.
What We Need & What You Get:
- Fact: We need $3,500 to create the show that we've dreamed up.
- Fact: We hope to create images and experiences for our audience that have not been done before.
- Fact: This will require outside help and funding.
• A very classic Circus apparatus is called "Slack Rope", in which a performer walks across a rope that is loose and wiggly. Another Circus apparatus is called "Aerial Rope" in which a performer is suspended in the air doing twists and tricks from above the ground. We have designed an apparatus that combines the two of these concepts using a pulley system. The pulley will divide the slack rope and the aerial rope. A person cannot walk the slack rope without a counter partner to support them.
• Another Circus apparatus is "Tightwire". We have designed a mobile tightwire system that will enable our team to move the wire during our wire walker's act.
• The biggest piece of equipment, the "Slide Table", is exactly what it sounds like! It is a very specifically built table that can cope with extreme weight/impact and is made of a surface that is slick and tacky at the same time. This table allows us to do acrobatics and dance using "slide" techniques across the length of the table. It will also be the center piece to each IMPulse that occurs during the show
We have some fun exciting perks for those who donate to our cause!
IF YOU DONATE YOU'LL RECEIVE:
$5 - IMPatient: You'll receive links and passwords to private video updates of show creation.
$20 - IMPoster: A poster signed by the artists and all the perks of the IMPatient.
$50 - IMPressive: A complimentary ticket to the show and all the perks of the IMPoster.
$100 - More IMPressive: A custom IMPulse T-shirt and all the perks of the IMPressive.
$100 - IMProvement: Receive a circus lesson from one of the IMPulse cast members. Learn/have fun with the circus discipline of your choice!
$250 - IMPact: A DVD of the full show and all the perks of the More IMPressive.
$500 - IMPortant: An invite for you and a guest to our dress rehearsal, an additional complimentary ticket (for a total of two!), and all the perks of the IMPact.
$1,000 - Very IMPortant: VIMPs will receive two on-demand complimentary tickets to any IMPulse production. Forever. You will also receive all of the perks of the IMPortant.
$1,000 - IMPromote Your Business: A limited deal for personal businesses or companies, we will include your information and logo in our program as a sponsor for the show, and mention you on our Facebook page.
$2,000 - An IMProbable Day: You and a friend will get 8 hours with the cast of IMPulse, we could spend a day teaching you cool tricks at a circus school, go out to a movie, take a hike, go see a show, talk about your romantic problems, or any combination of the above! Anything you want within your IMProbable 8 hours AND all the perks of the Very IMPortant!
$5,000 - IMPerfection: We will perform a bonus personal show for you and yours at a location of your choosing. This may require extra time and planning. You will also receive all the perks of the Very IMPortant!
Any and all donations include the truest satisfaction of knowing you have been instrumental in the construction and creation of this epic project.
What Happens If...
•Even if we don't make our financial goal, all of the funds we raise will go towards the completion of this project. Whatever funds we don't raise will come from performer pay and tickets sales.
•BUT!!!! If by some miracle we are able to raise more than our goal, those funds will go towards the future of our project and ultimately enable us to take the show on tour.
The IMPact of ART
People move mountains, but great art is what moves people.
What we create is intended to touch and stir things in the human psyche, to inspire people with something new. Performance has been around for thousands of years, and Circus itself has a rich history. But right now there is a huge societal and artistic shift in the concept of Circus. Currently we are experiencing the first Contemporary Circus Movement, in which the idea of Circus is evolving into something it has never been before. Circus is no longer found only in the tent, it is used more and more for story telling, dance, theater, and music. Other art media are beginning to find their way into Circus Arts and the outcome is exciting.
IMPulse is the Circus of today and tomorrow, it will be a part of the Contemporary Movement happening and shaping our history right now.
Individually, as performers, we have found success all over the world. Some of us have studied Circus abroad and most of us are instructors at the School of Acrobatics and New Circus Arts here locally in Seattle. For us, this project is our opportunity to change the way people look at Circus in all it's forms, to create a new form of artistic movement and with your help it's success is imminent.
Other Ways You Can Help!
We know not everyone can help us financially, we feel similarly about other art projects ourselves! But that doesn't mean you can't help us. Getting our name out there, spreading the word about our show and the funds we need to raise, these are the things we need help with too!
Also! If you know how to knit, and could put in some time (we can provide yarn, etc), we need some basic knitted props! Contact for more details. :)
WE ARE LOOKING FOR MUSICIANS!
We are currently accepting applications for two positions in our live band:
VERSATILE MUSICIAN - Ideally with experience with keyboards/synth, any other musical proficiencies are a bonus!
Please contact us if you or someone you know might be interested!!!