///UPDATE: We have altered our goal and end date!
We are excited about the support we have received throughout this campaign, and as of today (September 10th) we have raised $5600! We have changed our goal to $10,000 and extended our end date to September 22nd.
Our revised goal will allow us to do the following:
- secure up to 10,000 square feet of warehouse space in the East End
- basic buildout of communal/coworking and classroom areas
- space to start accepting the tool and machine donations we have been offered, which include an entire woodshop and screenprinting equipment
- space in which to offer regular classes and workshops (up to 5 a week in the first three months)
- obtain at least one 3D printer
Once we are in our space and have done what is outlined above we will continue to grow organically over time, eventually reaching the 20,000 square feet with the 7 core workshops listed in our original campaign below. Until then, membership will be $149 a month for unlimited use of all facilities!
an upcoming makerspace in Houston, Texas providing tools, machines, resources,
education and community to makers of all skill levels!
I've always been a maker. When I moved back to Houston from San Francisco in 2012, I started looking for places where I could have access to the resources that came so easily to me on the West Coast. The more I dug, the more I found Houston lacking. However, the more I dug, the more people I found that shared my need and my passion for making. Houston has a thriving maker community desperate for a space like this. We need you to help us make it happen!
/// What is Houston Makerspace?
Houston Makerspace (HMS) is a large workspace that will include a wood shop, metal shop, rapid prototyping lab (which includes a laser cutter and 3D printers), textiles and sewing lab, screen printing studio, jewelry shop, commercial kitchen, coworking space and artists studios. We will have two classrooms and an incredible variety of classes and workshops from candlemaking to advanced robotics. HMS is committed to providing tools, resources, education and community for makers of all mediums and skill levels in an atmosphere that encourages creativity and innovation.
/// How does Houston Makerspace work?
HMS is a membership-based facility, similar to a gym. You can come take classes without being a member, but members are the only ones that get to use the space outside of class.
As I write this, we are in negotiations on several buildings, all located within a three mile radius of downtown Houston. Any of these buildings would allow us to have:
- Room for the shops listed above (woodworking, metalworking, rapid prototyping, etc)
- Two classrooms for classes not held in shops (up to 25 classes a week)
- A large coworking area that includes both private and collaborative work spaces
- 8-10 offices or artist studios that can be reserved on a monthly basis
- 12-16 dedicated desks that can be reserved on a monthly basis
- Special events, functions and gallery shows
Daily Drop-in: $8/day for those that want to pop in here and there (does not include class discounts)
Class-addict Membership: $99/year for a 25% discount on all classes (does not include access to coworking or shops)
Basic Membership: $99/month for unlimited coworking without shop access
Narrow and Deep Membership: $199/month for unlimited coworking plus access to one shop (add additional shops for $49/mo)
Full Access Membership: $499/month for unlimited coworking and access to ALL shops
- Add an Office or Studio to any membership for $199/month
- Add a Dedicated Desk to any membership for $99/month
- Add 24-hour access to any membership for $99/month (9 pm-9 am)
- Free high-speed WiFi
- Coffee bar with espresso machine and snacks (eventually will have a full café)
- Free access to general office necessities (copying, printing,etc)
- 24 hour access available
- Storage space available (lockers, shelves, pallets, etc)
- Mail and phone services available for office and desk renters
- Free entry to events
- 25% discount on all classes
/// How will HMS invest your contribution?
I’m sure you’ve realized by now this project is a big one, and while $150,000 won’t get us everything we need, it will get us a lot more than you think! This amount will allow us to secure a physical location and begin our build-out. We will be able to outfit our woodshop, furnish the classrooms and coworking space, offer quite a few classes and workshops, and provide Houston makers with a place to converge and solidify our community structure. These funds will also go towards promotional materials that will allow us to reach even more makers and secure additional funding sources.
/// Why Should You Contribute?
Here's why we think it's worth it for you to help us get off the ground:
- HMS will create jobs by providing education to under or unskilled individuals that will make them more employable and by employing makers to run the shops and teach classes. We will give people a place to stretch their creative muscles and supplement their income through selling their handmade products.
- HMS will teach children and young adults the benefit of making through STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) programs and classes. We want to teach kids how good it feels to make something with your own hands!
- Houston is lacking in make-education and access to machines. While there are some great classes available here and there, we're lacking a go-to place for modern, high-quality classes on a wide range of DIY subjects in a space that's large enough to house multiple shops and a variety of tools and machines.
- The great success of independent craft markets and networking events shows that makers in our area are desperate for a place like Houston Makerspace! We want to give it to them!
- When makers come together to work around each other incredible innovation happens. HMS will be that place.
/// Other Ways You Can Help
Whether or not you're able to donate, we would be enthused beyond belief if you would spread the word about Houston Makerspace! Here's how:
- Share this campaign on your Facebook, Twitter, blog, or by word of mouth. (Feel free to use the "share" buttons at the very bottom of this page!)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Sign up for our mailing list.
- If you'd like to interview our founder for a blog post or media mention, please email us at email@example.com.
/// About Our Rewards and Some Fine Print:
We spent a lot of time figuring out how to offer membership rewards in this campaign knowing that these funds will not be sufficient to complete our total build out. That said, all membership rewards are for a modified basic membership, which will include access to the entire space as it is being built out for the entirety of the modified basic membership term. This will include at least coworking, class discounts, woodshop access and events. If we get more built out within the term of your modified basic membership - which we surely will - lucky you!
It is also important to add the following disclaimer: Houston Makerspace is committed to offering a safe, clean, consistent environment that everyone can use. All members must take a safety class or “test out” with the shop’s manager before being allowed access to a shop.
Thanks for your support!