Who We AreTy was an amazing boy. Always a smile to give....and that smile would light up a room. Ty was a helper.....someone who just wanted to do his part to make your day a little easier and a little brighter. But, at just eleven years-old, Ty took his own life after being suspended from school for retaliating against a bully that had been bullying him for over two years.
Stand for the Silent was started in 2010 by a group students from the Oklahoma State University- Oklahoma City Upward Bound Program, after they heard the story of Kirk and Laura Smalley’s son, Ty Field-Smalley. Stand for the Silent exists as a platform to allow Kirk and Laura to share their story and offer education and tools that will prevent their tragedy from happening to another child and family. Kirk and Laura’s mission is to continue to change kids’ lives and bring awareness to bullying and the real devastation it causes.
Since May 2010, Kirk and Laura Smalley have traveled to thousands of schools and spoken with more than 783,000 kids and now we need your help!
- Every 7 minutes a child is bullied; 85% of the time, there is no intervention of any kind.
- Each day, 160,000 students miss school due to bullying
- Bullying is a leading factor in suicide among kids 11-16 years old
- By age 24, 60% of bullies have been charged with a crime.
- 34% of all children report being bullied regularly at least several times a year
- 86% of children aged 12-15 report at least some form of bullying has interfered with their studies moderately or severely
- 43% of middle school children avoid the bathroom and locker rooms at all costs due to certainty of being bullied
- 1 of every 4 children is more than occasionally cyber-bullied
- In schools where there are antibullying programs, bullying is reduced by 50%
- Bullying was a factor in 2/3 of the 37 school shootings reviewed by the US Secret Service
- Recent bullying studies have found that schools that had a more intense bullying atmosphere, passing rates on standardized tests in such subjects as algebra, earth science and world history were 3 to 6% lower
Why We Need Your Help2013 was an amazing year! We reached hundreds of thousands of kids throughout the country with our message. But our operating expenses exceeded $300,000. The only way we can continue to reach children with this vital message, is with your help. Airfare, lodging, car rental, materials and much more are required in order for us to get our message in front of the kids who need it most. Without donations from our supporters, we cannot continue our journey.
Will you help us?
Will you be a hero to a child who is being bullied?
How Your Donations Are UsedThis is our average monthly operating budget for traveling to organizations spreading our message:
Car Rental: $5,300
Handout Materials: $7,500
Call To ActionCome on guys, let's stop bullying in it's tracks. Every dollar helps! Make some noise guys! Support Stand For The Silent. Don't forget to share our fundraiser so your family and friends can also help.
Your donation will go directly to the education of children and adults to help us stop the bullies in their tracks. Thank you for considering your tax deductible gift to Stand For The Silent. YOU are loved. YOU are somebody!
Perks For Your Support
(Not all perks are pictured. Visit our online Store for all perk photos.)
White "I am Somebody" Hoodie
"I Stand For The Silent" T-Shirt
"I Am Somebody" Blue Wristband