Right now there are 20 million overweight and obese men in the UK. That's 40 million manboobs too many and we want to do something about it. That's why we would love your support to launch Man V Fat: a free, monthly digital magazine that is designed to help men lose weight...
Your support would also launch the partner Man V Fat website...
What Will Man V Fat Give Its Readers?
Man V Fat is a full colour, 100 page cutting-edge digital magazine that arrives direct to your smartphone or tablet and a state of the art community website. Think of Man V Fat as your non-stop kick up the arse delivered direct to your laptop, iPad or Nexus which will inspire, entertain, inform and motivate you so that you can finally beat fat.
Our mission is to bring you:
- Inspiration and Motivation - we are going to cheer every single pound our readers lose, bring you incredible success stories, weight loss diaries and amplify all of those reasons you have for wanting to beat fat.
- Support and Information - all the news, gadgets and developments that can keep you at the cutting edge of weight loss.
- Food and Drink - ideas, recipes and suggestions of things that you can get down your neck. If you love your food and drink but want to lose weight, then you'll love this.
- Challenges - both weight loss and fitness challenges with an array of different difficulties designed to help get you to your goal.
- Features - Is the latest diet a load of nonsense? How are your mates making you fat? Can you fit healthy living alongside working? Interviews with inspirational blokes from all walks of life who have something to share about losing weight.
- No Bulls**t - it's so easy to get lost in the arguments around weight loss (is paleo good? Will 5:2 kill you? Am I in starvation mode?) so we're promising a no bulls**t approach. We'll use science, common-sense and bona fide experts to cut through all of the nonsense and explain the jargon.
- A Laugh - you're losing weight, not your sense of humour.
- Community - the website is the always-on partner to the magazine. Build your profile, read posts, get expert advice and meet other men who are losing weight (then steal all their good ideas).
Our commitment is to make all of this free for our readers. We want to help as many people as we can and despite the extra challenges this brings, we know it's the right thing to do.
There are three things you can do to launch Man V Fat and help overweight men everywhere:
1. Buy A Perk
We've got a range of perks from prestige early access to the magazine and site, t-shirts, phone calls from the editor, a range of exclusive advertising options and even crocheted manboobs for our wonderful supporters. Even if you can just spare a pound you will be giving life to a project that could mean the difference between someone beating fat, or not. Please click on Contribute and launch this project.
2. Get Your Free Copy Of The Magazine
Add your email address and you will get emailed the second the magazine is on the (digital) shelves. The more subscribers we have, the more powerful we become and the more we can use that to help our readers.
3. Share Man V Fat
If you know and love a guy who wants to lose weight - send them this project. Share it on Facebook, talk about it on Twitter, picture it on Instagram, post it on YouTube. Ask your followers and friends if you think Man V Fat deserves to be launched...
Who Is Behind Man V Fat?
My name is Andrew Shanahan and I'm an award-winning writer, editor and publisher. I've spent the last three years creating and building Staggered - a free website to help men with their weddings. It started from nothing and rapidly became the world's biggest wedding community for grooms, best men and fathers of the bride. By 2012 we were helping over a million guys a year, leading to a successful sale in 2013.
As a journalist I've written for The Guardian, The Times, The Independent, The Good Food Guide, Metro, Arena, the BBC and edited digital publications for an array of clients. For Man V Fat I'm working with a hand-picked team of graphic designers, web designers, journalists, photographers, scientists, fitness experts and nutritionists to put together a cutting-edge publication.
Man V Fat is personally important to me. I have been overweight for most of my life. It has been the single biggest source of misery and hardship in my life, and I speak as a Stoke City fan. In June 2011 I was getting out of bed and I took a "guttie" - a selfie of my grotesque gut and manboobs. Man V Fat was born at that moment. It took the better part of three years (and I'm still not quite Jason Statham) but my guttie gif now looks like this:
If I can help other men to lose weight and enjoy life more then Man V Fat will be a success.
What Will We Do With Your Money?
All the costs will go towards creating the first issue of Man V Fat and the website. If we raise over the target then it will go towards funding the second issue. If we do really well then we have some Stretch Goal ideas that are straight out of the crazy jar. Running costs for the magazine are low and the projection is that we will be able to make the magazine profitable within a short period of time, providing enough people support its launch.
I'm not asking for your money and support so that I can realise my goal. I'm asking for this money to help other men realise theirs. If you want to lose weight then please fund this project. If you know someone who desperately wants to beat fat then please fund this project. I believe Man V Fat can make a massive difference to the lives of those 20 million men and it all begins with your support.