Who We Are
By now, most of you know who we are and what we do. We are The Demo. Since February of 2013, we have been working hard to bring you the finest entertainment experience that a small room concert venue can offer. We provide a warm room with beautiful lighting. We provide a variety of local beers on tap, a constantly growing canned craft beer selection, a full range of fine spirits, and hand crafted cocktails on tap. We work to involve other local businesses in special events. We think that every aspect is important. And we’ve been very excited about sharing all of this with you.
Where We Are (Literally)
As many of you know, The Demo originally opened next door to Atomic Cowboy in The Grove (some of you probably think we are still there). As we grew, it became clear that we needed to move, and so we began looking at potential new spaces. We considered other neighborhoods, but ultimately decided that we loved The Grove, and wanted to remain here. So we began a buildout and decided that in the interest of our employees and our calendar, we would make the move with as little downtime as humanly possible. We worked night and day for months and transformed the new space into The Demo, a near mirror image of our last location, only a few steps down the street, at 4191 Manchester.
Where We Are (Figuratively)
As we stated, the buildout and subsequent move went swimmingly. There was really a great sense of where we were headed, and we were excited. To aid in minimizing the downtime in the move, we were able to obtain permission to have another business cater our events while our liquor license application was going through all the steps. No need to bore you with all those details, but let’s just say it takes some time to get through the application process. Everything was moving along according to plan until we hit a brick wall: obstructionist neighbors.
From the minute we opened, we knew that the room was going to be a work in progress, both in terms of sound proofing and sound treating. We also knew that it was something we could manage if we stayed out in front of it. So we reached out to our residential neighbors. We kept them in the loop on our progress, we asked for their feedback. What we got in return was a surprise phone call from the Excise Commissioner informing us that we could no longer have the space catered because there was an official protest that had been filed against our liquor license application. We were forced to close effective immediately. The rest has been well documented here:
Now, nearly two months later, we finally have a liquor license hearing set for August 13. In the absence of the protest, we could, theoretically, open the next day. With the protest in effect, however, another 30 days will be added on to that time, placing our potential re-opening date midway through September. Even if we were to somehow convince the neighbors to drop the protest, we are still in a very deep hole.
Simply put, we are out of money. We underwent a massive move with a costly buildout. We went dark for 2 weeks to do that. Then we got open for barely a month, and have been shut down since. All this time, we have had our normal expenses accruing, but we’ve also had attorney’s bills piling up, and we have had to take major steps to further soundproof the venue. And all of this with zero revenue. We had to lay off several people, but some have stayed on. And they have been working their asses off for little to no pay.
Since we are still so far away from the end of all of this, we see no other option but to turn to you, our fans, family, and friends. We have debts piling up, a lot of them to our loyal employees, and a lot of them to our very patient landlords. And we have to do something to resolve this now. Not 45 days from now. Because frankly, our employees won’t make it another 45 days. And without them, neither will we.
At the very least, because of all of this, our doors are going to have been closed for three months. An entire quarter of the year. That’s a lot for any business to overcome. We believe that we can. But we need your help.
If we are able to reach our goal of $10,000, we will accomplish the following:
- Pay our staff in full for their time over the past 7 weeks
- Pay off some arrears in rent
- Pay off part of the cost of additional soundproofing
If we are able to reach $20,000, we will be able to accomplish all of the above plus the following:
- Fully pay off the cost of additional soundproofing
- Pay off attorney’s fees accrued
- Pay for final steps in obtaining our liquor license
- Fully pay off arrears in rent
If we are able to reach $25,000, we will be able to pay off all of our debts and accomplish everything we need to be open, plus we will have additional funds to go towards throwing the party of the century to thank all of you, our friends.
Now Let’s Talk About You
If we are able to reach our goal, we’re not going to forget about how we got there. It’s the same reason we’re here in the first place. It’s all about you.
- Donate $10 or more and be given one free ticket to any show of your choice at The Demo in the following year*^.
- Donates $25 or more and also be given two free drinks of your choice the night of the show.
- Donating $50 gets you all of the above for you and a guest plus a T-shirt.
- $100 gets you all of the above, a second T-shirt, plus a meet and greet with the band and an invitation for you and a guest to an all inclusive Thank You Party at The Demo.
- $200 gets you and a guest a free ticket to any three shows in the next year*^, two free drinks for you and your guest at each show, a free pizza at each show, a meet and greet with the bands, two T-shirts, and an invite for you and a guest to an all inclusive Thank You Party at The Demo.
- $500 gets you everything at the $200 level, plus a night’s stay at The Crowne Plaza downtown after the Thank You Party, and red carpet limo service to and from the party.
- You want to donate $1000 or more? You’re in a class of you’re own. For you, we have a very special gift. We’re calling it The Golden Ticket. Any show you want to go to. Free. For the next year*. In addition, we’ll buy you a beer at each of those shows. And don’t worry, you get your T-shirt too. Additionally, you and a guest are invited to the all inclusive Thank You Party at The Demo. You also get a night’s stay at The Crowne Plaza downtown after the party, and red carpet limo service to and from the party.
Just Don’t Have The Money Right Now?
That’s OK. Neither do we, so we get it. But there are other things you can do to help:
- Spread the word. Even if you can’t give, maybe your friends that we don’t know can. Let them know about our efforts. Let them know about our less than ideal situation. We would sure appreciate it.
- Keep supporting live music and the arts. It’s important.
- Keep supporting local business. None of us exist without your support, and we love to exist.