We have reached our goal! What's next?
We have reached our goal! Thank you so much for your magnificent support!
What's next? Well, cycling of course. Today, we have funds to travel for the next 10000km and that is all the way up to Canada! We still need funds to travel last 4000km to Alaska! Let's keep traveling together!
Who are we?
Sven (27), Kira (28) and Tulku the dog (8) - two people and one dog united to cycle the whole lenght of the Panamerican Highway. We started our journey in September 2013 at the southernmost point of South America (Tierra del Fuego) and our goal is to reach the northernmost point of North America (Alaska).
Sven was an engineering student in Berlin, Kira was a stewardess on the train in Vienna and Tulku is the dog that grew up traveling. Kira and Tulku traveled extensively together on and off for 5 years before this trip. Sven is a keen cyclist since childhood. We all met in the northernmost place of Europe - North Cape. Sven fell off his bike; Kira held his hand; Tulku licked his foot - long story short, since autumn 2013 we have been pedalling across two continents to reach our goal - to cycle the length of the Panamerican highway.
We were on the road for one and a half years, not far from the Peruvian and Ecuadorian border, when one morning Tulku the dog woke up unable to walk and see. This came as a shock!
We planned our trip for a maximum of 2 years and we prepared for the journey responsibly:
- Kira worked and saved penny and dime for 2 years before the start.
- Sven saved up everything during his academic studies.
- Tulku did her part by cheering us up after every long day at work.
- We calculated the possible expenses, as well as a buffer for unexpected events.
Well, a lot of unexpected events have happened:
- We had to exchange our cooking stove three times. Two cookers broke down in two different deserts and one broke down during an extremely long andean climb.
- Various diseases slowed us down: typhus, gastric flu, dengue, high altitude sickness - to name a few.
- Kira was diagnosed with uncurable autoimmune disease during the trip.
- Tulku was bitten by another dog and it took 3 weeks to heal.
- Tulku was diagnosed as blind, as well as a luxating patella and arthritis.
We were able to cope on our own by using our buffer money and support from the family. But Tulku's condition threw everything over the top. How so?
- The bare cost of Tulku's surgeries were not too bad - we got 10% discount for the first surgery and 50% discount for the unplanned second surgery from the veterinary clinic.
- We had to stop cycling and find accommodation for more than 3 months, so Tulku could recover from the operations and heal properly, which was much more expensive than the surgery itself.
- This break from cycling means that we will not be able to reach Alaska this summer.
- Cycling through Alaska in winter is very dangerous (all that snow and polar bears), so we had to postpone our finish until summer of 2016 - that means one extra year on the road.
- We are determined to reach our goal - cycling the Panamericana from south to north, but at the moment our financial funds are insufficient.
How much did it cost to fix Tulku's legs?
How much money do we spend per month?
Extra costs include bike related costs (e.g. spare parts), Tulku's food and medicine, sightseeing and other bits and pieces (e.g. shampoo, new pants, paper etc.).
How much money do we need?
We have 16 months left to reach Alaska. At the moment we have enough money to travel for the half of it, so we need another 8000€ in order to reach Alaska. This will cover unexpected things that might happen in the future as well (injuries, broken gear etc.).
Why is your goal 3000€, if you need much more?
- Every euro counts and helps! With 2€ we can go for one more kilometer!
- We try to be realistic and understand that will have to support ourselves in order to reach our goal.
If we reach and surpass our goal, our traveling conditions could improve: better food for us, better food for Tulku, better sleeping arrangements (e.g. occasional night in a hotel with a shower).
- If we gather 8000€ for the trip and 3000€ more - we can afford Tulku's eye surgery and she will be able to see again!
"Why should I pay for your vaccation?"
- Long term traveling, besides the amazing scenery and awesome experiences, is in fact a lot of work. It is a full time job that doesn't pay well. In fact, it doesn't pay at all...
"Why should I give you money? Can't you earn it yourself?". We worked hard before the trip in order to save enough money for the life on the road for 2 years. We also worked hard every day since our journey started in order to reach our final destination. We will continue to work towards our goal on a daily basis, but at the moment we need your support. During and after our trip we share our fortune with people we meet by invinting them for a meal with us and sharing stories and a simple smile. We invite you to share too!
- As it's mentioned before, a lot of unexpected events have happened during the trip. We were prepared for most of the things - it's not hard to imagine getting typhus or replacing some broken equipment, but Kira's diagnosis for life long disease and Tulku's sudden illnesses came out of nowhere. We have never dreamt of these before, even in our worst nightmares.
"Why do you keep traveling? Why not postpone it or just cancel it?". We invested a lot of money and time and energy in order to reach our goal. Today, have we completed 2/3 of our trip. When our money runs dry, will be so close to our goal. Would you quit when you can already see the finish line?
"But why do you travel with a dog? Can't you leave it at home?". Tulku started traveling with Kira just after her 1st birthday and traveled on and off for the most part of her life. Thus, she does not understand the concept of "home". She's happy, when we are around and sad when we leave. She did not choose this way of life initially, but everytime we pack - she is the first waiting at the door ready for a new adventure.
Join us for an adventure of the lifetime!
The road leads us trough snow storms, glaciers, white peaks, high mountains, valleys, endless deserts, ocean coasts, jungle and everything in between. We see various plants and animals, ancient ruins, historical monuments - the world is full of amazing things and we are ready to share it with you. Last, but not least, we meet many different people: the rich and the poor, the happy and the struggling, and all of them have a story to tell and share!
Join our Facebook page Boundless Biking and follow our daily life and entcounters on the road! You can find many pictures and videos from our trip on our Facebook page.
You can donate money by paypal directly on this page. Go check the upper right corner of the page and follow the instructions given!
- You can donate however much you like.
- By donating, you will be able to get one of our amazing perks!
- For 2€, you will buy one kilometer from our trip. We promise to make photo evidence with your name on that kilometer and you will recieve the proof picture by email. Everybody will see it on our facebook page as well! (http://on.fb.me/1JAdFTC)
- For 3€, you will buy one kilometer from our trip decorated with a hand drawn flower. Included: picture of your kilometer sent via email and place in our Funders Hall of Fame (http://on.fb.me/1JAdFTC).
- For 15€, you will recieve one hard-earned kilometer. That means, we had to cycle so hard, that at the end of the kilometer we couldn't stand up anymore and needed to lay down for a while. These kilometers are very rare!
- For 20€, you will receive 'thank you' postcard from the country of your choice! You can choose from Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Mexico, USA and Canada! The shipping is included.
- For 25€, you will recieve 'thank you' postcard decorated with hand drawn flower. The shipping is included.
- For 200€, you will receive a small toy, hand-made by Kira from genuine Tulku's fur! Picture of the toy is HERE! The toys are very exclusive and it takes a lot of time to make them (Tulku needs to grow the fur first). Due to this reason, they will be sent on "first come (donate), first serve" basis. Go ahead, claim your toy now! No shipping included.
- For 250€, you will recieve a small felted toy and a felted flower. The toys are made from Tulku's fur! No shipping included.
Other ways to help us
You are amazed by our story and want to help us, but have no money at the moment? You still can help us!
- Do you live somewhere on our route? Invite us to stay with you!
- Do you have veterinary knowledge? We still have plenty of unanswered questions concerning Tulku's health!
- Can you edit and make videos? We have tons of video material to be the next big movie!
- Have you traveled on our route? Tell us the best priced hotel, sights and saving tips for the area!
- Do you sell merchandise and can give us travel gear? Sometimes our stuff breaks down without possibility to fix and we need to replace it!
- And most importantly - SHARE OUR STORY WITH OTHERS!
Thank you for your support!