What am I doing?
My Uncle Larry has prostate cancer, and it won't be much longer that he'll be with us. I really want to donate some money to cancer research in honor of him, but I frankly am not financially capable. I recently had the idea to shave my head in exchange for donations, so that's what I'm here for! After losing someone very important to me to cancer already, and watching my uncle go through the agony that he's been going through for the past few years, I feel very compelled to try to stop this from happening to other people.
I will be donating all funds raised to the Cancer Research Institute.
Why May 22?
My uncle and I share our birthday on May 22. It's been a very special bond for us my whole life, so I think that shaving my head on our shared day would be the perfect day to do this for him. I know that it is a little short notice, but I think it is important.
What you get:
On our birthday, May 22, I will shave all of my hair off and record it as a video for the viewing pleasure of anyone who contributed. Eventually, the video will probably be put online, but I will make sure that only the people who made donations or helped me make this happen get to see it first.
Other possible perks to pick from:
- A personal thank you note from me, mailed to your address. I am a photography student, so it is very likely that I will actually make some special little cards in the darkroom for these. And they might have cats on them.
- A copy of the short story "The Girl With The Hair of Nothing". My boyfriend will finally be able to use his writing for something other than unemployment to provide you with a short story that he probably hasn't written yet! He's talented, I promise.
- A digital print of a portrait of me after my head has been shaved, signed by me. I'm not famous, but this could be a neat reminder of what you helped me do.
- A darkroom print of the aforementioned portrait, also signed by me.
- A streamed video of me fire hooping - after I've shaved my head of course!
And, last but not least:
- The knowledge that you helped contribute to a great cause: cancer research!
Please help me if you can!
If we get to $750, my brother Davison and our friend Sean will shave their heads too!
At $1,000, our friend Shanaz will do it!
At $1,250, my boyfriend Aaron and our friend Jared will do it!
At $1,500, my uncle's wife Cathy will do it!
At $2,000, his brother-in-law Dave and our friend Skylar (age 9!) will do it!
If we reach these and beyond we will work to come up with something elaborate!